Blew gasket - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Blew gasket

Noticed some coolant dripping off the bike today. Upon inspection there is a small leak at the bottom of the front jug. Haven't taken the oil out yet to see if it's leaking coolant inside as well.
Anyway I guess I'll be buying a service manual. Plenty of automotive repair experience so this shouldn't bee too much different. I've never torn down a motorcycle engine before though, so I'm wondering if there's any other PM I should be doing as long as I have the motor out. Bike has 36k on it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Hwy View Post
Noticed some coolant dripping off the bike today. Upon inspection there is a small leak at the bottom of the front jug. Haven't taken the oil out yet to see if it's leaking coolant inside as well.
Anyway I guess I'll be buying a service manual. Plenty of automotive repair experience so this shouldn't bee too much different. I've never torn down a motorcycle engine before though, so I'm wondering if there's any other PM I should be doing as long as I have the motor out. Bike has 36k on it.
Thanks
Replace the dampers in the left-hand balancer; and probably not a bad idea to consider changing your mechanical seal (right side).

C
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

A buddy of mine who has had 3 of these bikes said to replace the timing chain. ANy reason to do this?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Thanks
I guess it depends on on how much more stuff you want to tear apart beyond the cylinder base gasket on the crankcase. I don`t recall the age/model year of your bike, and you haven`t put that info in your signature line yet.

There is a small disc shaped oil filter in each of the heads that is the last protection for the lubrication of the camshafts. I myself, would change the little button battery sized filters while the heads are off.

If your bike is more than 10-15 years old, or sat for any long period of time without being started and driven, the crankshaft balancer dampers may be brittle and deteriorating. If you have not seen any rubber chunks in the oil drain screen, the dampers have not yet begun to disintigrate. Your call on whether you want to replace them.

There is also a shifter tie rod on early models (from 1985 to `90 I think) that should be replaced with a heavier duty one if you ever have to split the cases, but I wouldn`t do it now unless there is another reason to go in there.

Do an AC voltage test, and resisitance tests on the stator before pulling the engine. If it is weak, or grounded to the frame, change it while the engine is out.

This is going a bit beyond regular Preventative Maintenance, but if the stator is still ok, you might want to do Tuxedo Seven`s stator case mod while the engine is out and easier to work with it on the bench, in preparation for the day when the stator does need to be replaced.

Just thinking of Pick`s experience least week when his stator died on the road a thousand miles from home and it took mucho donnero ($) and several days at the dealer to get him back on the road. If his stator case had been previously modified, once the stator was in hand either he or the dealer could have installed it in an hour or two.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 07-23-2011 at 07:38 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Replace the dampers in the left-hand balancer; and probably not a bad idea to consider changing your mechanical seal (right side).
Is that the water pump seal you are referring to Cindy?

Quote:
A buddy of mine who has had 3 of these bikes said to replace the timing chain. ANy reason to do this?
Measure the spacing on 21 chain link pins and compare it to the specs to see if it at or beyond service limits.
Specs are 127 - 127.4 mm between 21 pins. Service limit is 128.9mm

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 07-23-2011 at 05:09 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. The bike is a 99. I just bought it in the beginning of June so I don't really know the service history other than the previous owners word. I have done the fork seals lubed the spline and adjusted the rear brakes since I got it. I was really hoping I would get through a season with it and not have to dump a bunch of money into it but it appears thats not going to be the case.
I suppose as long as I have it apart I should do the case mod since if I don't the stator will die as soon as I get it back together. Murphy's law.

(edit) Wow stator case mod $450??? No way. I'll check the voltages before I take the motor out but I'm not dumping that kind of money into this old bike. If the stator dies it's going straight to the scrap yard and I'll cut my losses. I only paid $1500 for this pile. I'll be dammed if I'm going to drop another grand on it. I'm trying to save for a new bike.

Thanks for the suggestion though. If I had any intention of keeping the bike or if I was even that fond of it I would do it. When you mentioned it I thought it was just something minor I could do in my shop lol.

Last edited by Devil_Hwy; 07-23-2011 at 07:03 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
(edit) Wow stator case mod $450??? No way.
Not suggesting the $450 TOC mod.
Instead,.... Tuxedo Seven`s $20 case mod: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16839
Quote:
This is going a bit beyond regular Preventative Maintenance, but if the stator is still ok, you might want to do Tuxedo Seven`s stator case mod while the engine is out and easier to work with it on the bench, in preparation for the day when the stator does need to be replaced.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 07-23-2011 at 07:45 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Question-- Are you leaking 2 or 3 drops of antifreeze ( not much more ) during a 40 - 50 mile run ? If thats all you're leaking I have an easy fix. Send me a PM if you're interested.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Not suggesting the $450 TOC mod.
Instead,.... Tuxedo Seven`s $20 case mod: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16839
OOOoooops.I just went to the verses and looked up stator mod. My bad. This is super easy. I'll just leave it till I need to do it though, since it's not a big job. Thanks for the link. What an ingenious mod.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I guess it depends on on how much more stuff you want to tear apart beyond the cylinder base gasket on the crankcase...
...There is also a shifter tie rod on early models (from 1985 to `90 I think) that should be replaced with a heavier duty one...

Just split my case tonight, I believe this is the shifter tie rod, mine appears to be slightly bent, maybe it needs replacement as long as I'm this far... 3 of my 6 balancers are decaying, one has been torn apart, time to order

85 VN700 Project Bike
Earshave
R/R Relocate
Mustang Seat
Custom grill cover
Busted Engine... removed, split, waiting on parts
Cleaning up & painting the rest

Parts still needed... wanted...
11" shocks, or one stock
Aftermarket exhaust... eventually
Extended forward controls or custom hwy peg mounts for my cramped legs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement