Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

ACCT/MCCT & Awwww CRAP!

Heya guys,

I think I may have done something that has caused detrimental damage.
I got my nice new shiny ACCT's from the Duece (Thanks), and converted them to MCCT's.

I inserted, and adjusted to remove the ticking. Rode to work the next day, Ran an errand on my Lunch break, and the bike would not start when I wanted to go back to work.

I got a push start, and it ran for 2 blocks, then stalled again. After calling for roadside assistance I had a brain fart moment, and loosened the bolts on the MCCT's and the bike fired right up. I cancelled the tow truck and rode the bike home without problem. Now, when start it up, the left side I can adjust to proper "no ticking noise" tension, BUT on the right side I have a problem. When I tension to stop the tick, as soon as there is no tick, the bike shuts down. Back it off, and it starts right back up again.

Did I tighten it too much somehow? If I did, what sort of damage could I have done? Am I potentially looking at a cam chain replacement? If so is this something that a newbie could attempt, or is it major motor surgery?

Am I screwed?
This is an 87 750. I am $2k in the bike at the moment. If the bike needs to undergo major surgery, should I cut my losses and part out the bike, or sell it running?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I am just curious about my options?

Thanks
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 AM

I'm more of a part time shade tree mechanic stumbling through a rebuild on our bike, as long as you have a service manual, the wonderful advice and direction from these forums & it's members, coupled with patients & determination, you'll be able to fix it and have a new understanding of your machine (priceless)

85 VN700 Project Bike
Earshave
R/R Relocate
Mustang Seat
Custom grill cover
Busted Engine... removed, split, waiting on parts
Cleaning up & painting the rest

Parts still needed... wanted...
11" shocks, or one stock
Aftermarket exhaust... eventually
Extended forward controls or custom hwy peg mounts for my cramped legs...

Last edited by G3P0; 07-21-2011 at 10:49 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Calif Rider

You will always have some ticking noise even when adjusted correctly. The Mcct's should have been adjusted to finger tight after installation. Then start it up and then again adjust Mcct's finger tight with engine running, and that is it no tighter. You can try to check the spring adjuster just above each Mcct's. They are under the large cap above, nothing will fall out just a spring is in there. The spring should be about 1 and 1/2 inches long.
My Mcct's even get a little more noise after the engine really get hot. I think this is normal for all the bikes, the chains expand after they get up to a hot temp.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs