Members who have donated towards server costs
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
I had a hellacious noise that sounded just like a burnt bearing on the rear jug. This is before I knew anything about the ACCT and the chains making noise. I tore the engine down to parade rest meaning I took everything out of it including the crank. I left the ball bearings in but that was about it. Upon first blush, I couldn't determine what exactly was making the noise. Conrod bearings looked good, no burn marks or scoring. Cams were OK. Some evidence of scoring where the metal shavings went through but nothing major. Main bearings were different than I'd ever seen as they were not chromed or polished so I thought the mains had gone. Micd them and they were within spec. The bike sounded good when I bought it so it wasn't a preexisiting condition. I had just changed the oil about 1000 mi previous to the noise developing. When it started making the noise it got worse and worse until it sounded like the whole thing was going to come apart. Drained the oil and it had metal shavings and the screen had some larger pieces as well. As far as I could tell at the time, there was no physical evidence as to what was wrong. That was 4 years ago.
I started putting it back together in May and when I got to putting the rear cylinder back together I noticed where the cam chain had rubbed against the outer cam chain channel and the seat where the chain guide sat had some metal removed. This would accout for the metal particles in the oil and shavings in the screen. Upon reassembly, everything seemed to go back together by the book. All was tight and in the correct positions. Chain tension was good and the guides behaved normally when turning the engine by hand. When the bike first started after the rebuild, the chains whirred but no slap. The noise is coming back slowly but surely or so it seems. It may be that I am just paranoid but it does make me nervous as I really don't want to tear into it to that degree again if I don't have to. Not hard, but parts are expensive.
If anyone has another idea as to what the problem may be or if I am just being overly paranoid, I am open to suggestions.
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
Last edited by Sky Rider; 07-10-2006 at 10:11 PM.