Awful sluggish after ear shave re-jet - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
If only it had 6th gear..

Angry Awful sluggish after ear shave re-jet

Hi folks. I ordered 140 pilots and 142 mains and installed them after my ear shave. The V idles beautifully but is so sluggish when you go down the street it can't get out of it's own way. Now, the new jets have a very short head (like a nail) where the originals have a long head (like a shoulder screw) but the jet side is the same. I'm hoping the pic will upload. I believe it is the short length jet "starving" the engine at low speed operation because it isn't in the fuel deep enough. I emailed the company before I installed the jets and told them I didn't think they were the right fit, but of course they said they're fine as long as the threads are the same and that that year bike
(2000) had a production change which I believe to be bs, unless at some point Kaw went with different carbs which is possible. They sent me 2 sets of mains and only one set of pilots... the wrong set imo, and isn't that just the way it goes. I'm just looking for some confirmation on what I think the problem is. Thanks very much for your insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jet.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	3898  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

do you mean you ordered a 40 pilot or a 140?

that is likely the problem. Did you check here for part numbers on the jets?

My new pilot jet (42) looked just like my old one (the long one), my main jet was short and stubby but it sat inside of an adaptor of sorts.

Hope this helps

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks so much for the info. Yes I meant 40 for the pilot's. Bad day and I'm a bit upset at having to take it all apart again. I knew it, should have kept the originals in for now. I'll check those part #s too. The kit I ordered was a pro 3 stage kit on ebay. Thought I saw that people on here used them. Have a great night KidChaos!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Old Truck Junkie

It is not just real easy, but you can do the jets without removing the carb.
BTW some shims are also recomended on the needles when shaving the ears.
Those can also be done without removing the carbs. Be sure to put the same needle back into the same carb. Good luck.
Which air filters did you use.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Hey niterider. Yes I put the shims on the needles. 2 on each. Yeah I don't think I'll be opening the jet chambers while they're in place but I'll probably just pop the carbs off of the manifolds to make some working room rather than pulling the set all the way off. I fabricated a single air cleaner using a spectrum hi flow filter. I'll try and attach pic to this reply. I was looking at the position of the jet chambers and they are at dead bottom of the carb so my hunch that the pilots are sucking air as soon as the fuel level drops a little bit seems to be what's happening. A golf cart should never go faster than a VN so I gotta make this right pronto. Anyone ever drill out the original jets on these bikes? I'm tempted cause I'm not hearing back from the seller of the kit :-/
Thanks for the reply also.
BTW, these suckers are kinda loud when they're shaved, ha ha. Reminds me of flipping the air cleaner cover on my chev 350 to hear the four barrrels scarfin' air.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	3899  

Last edited by DavesVulster; 07-13-2011 at 12:36 AM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 05:35 AM

The Kid is right...something isn't right here. If the photo shows old/new pilots, you have the wrong pilots...they should look identical in size
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for confirming
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Could he have sold you jets for a different brand of carb?

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

jets for a different brand of carb?

That's what I wondered also since he mentioned a production change. I don't get that, and it hasn't been mentioned here at all but anyway, I'm going to put the originals back in tonight. Still think I should match the orifice on the 40's with a drill bit and drill the originals larger cause she will be lean and poppin' with the original jets and my new air cleaner. I deep sixed the surge tank so this was a one way ticket to the shaved state. Still going to get the proper new jets so it's a temporary thing but Please stop me if any of you have had nightmares drilling them lol.
Incidentally, I think they gave me pilot jets that sit in the traditional configuration abutted to the float needle valves in a typlical carb... and our bikes aren't set up that way. You guys are all great people on here. Must be cause we all have good taste ;-) Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by DavesVulster; 07-13-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: error
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Definately not the expert, but you could probably run the original jets as long as you want with the right length duct tape around the new filter. Just to get a little more venturi action on the jets.

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement