Cam chain tensioner - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Cam chain tensioner

I had a major oil leak, noticed a bolt was missing from my Cam chain tensioner. Got a new bolt and realized the tensioner was actually stripped. Would this cause the oil leak? If so does anybody have one that would fit a 91 vn750?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 AM
wickedwhip21

Just fixed the same issue on my bike. It wasn't a major leak, but definitely noticable. I found a fix on the forum. Tap end out with a 7mm tap, then use a 7mm cap screw. Took me a bit to get it back together. Hat to keep readjusting the innards till I got no play in it. Good to go know!!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
x2 on this, sorry it took so long for you to get an answer, that is not common around here!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Got it installed, and trying to take it on a test ride sometime today. Thanks for all the help, and to Crobins365 for the cheap replacement. I will post back and let you know if this worked.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

OK, CCT took care of the leak, but now the bike is idling funny, real low 1k compared to the 2k it used to idle at. Not sure if this could be due to the part being fixed or what, but it is not wanting to start after I kill it. The battery is new as of 2 months ago. It turns right over when on a charger. Any help would be appreciated. 1991 vn 750.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Buddha View Post
OK, CCT took care of the leak, but now the bike is idling funny, real low 1k compared to the 2k it used to idle at. Not sure if this could be due to the part being fixed or what, but it is not wanting to start after I kill it. The battery is new as of 2 months ago. It turns right over when on a charger. Any help would be appreciated. 1991 vn 750.
Is it possible you didn`t have the ACCT screwed all the way in when it was installed? Maybe too much pressure from the acct is on the tensioner rails and and it is slowing the engine.

Try screwing the sealing cap off the top and back the adjustment screw off a turn or so. See if it quits idling "funny".

Oh BTW, 2K rpm is too fast for the idle speed anyway. It should be 1100 rpm.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Is it possible you didn`t have the ACCT screwed all the way in when it was installed? Maybe too much pressure from the acct is on the tensioner rails and and it is slowing the engine.

Try screwing the sealing cap off the top and back the adjustment screw off a turn or so. See if it quits idling "funny".

Oh BTW, 2K rpm is too fast for the idle speed anyway. It should be 1100 rpm.
To be honest, I had a friend that was helping me with any problems but he flaked right before this came up. Sooooo.... I decided that I would put it back together (Not mechanically inclined in the least, but trying) so ANYTHING is possible. I eye balled the distance between the old and new CCT and it looked the same. After getting it installed and the battery charged up I took it out and around town, got up to 55 mph, thinking I just needed to run it. After the trouble the first time, I brought it home charged the battery and got it running again, so I took it out again. It started running hotter than normal (norm is about half way, it is running almost to red now) and when I pulled in the clutch it would rev to 5k and only drop when I released it in a gear, it also is not wanting to start, and is backfiring. I really don't have the cash for a mechanic. I don't know if this is something I can handle or not. Any advise is welcomed!
I will try your advise as soon as I get a chance probably Wednesday or Thursday before I can mess with it again.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

This may sound like a stupid question but it is not meant to insult you in any way, I just know that I can be very forgetful myself at times. Did you top off your oil after repairing the ACCT? I'm just running through what might be different after the repair based on what you've said so far. If you lost a significant amount of oil, your stator will run hotter and of course everything else too. Was any other work done on the bike before you got left to finish things on your own? Also learned from folks here that the oil should be right at the top of the sight glass to cool the stator best. Try to give as much info even if it seems unrelated to the current problem. Good luck.
Dave
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
I eye balled the distance between the old and new CCT and it looked the same.
I assume this means you didn`t turn the adjustment screw all the way into the ACCT body before bolting it down to the cylinder.
That probably means the ACCT mounting bolts were difficult to tighten down, due to the tensioner pushrod head contacting the internal chain tensioner rail before the bolts were torqued down.

The excessive tension on the cam chain would cause friction, slowing down the engine speed and the overheating you describe. Watch for flakes off the chain tensioner rail in the screen at the next oil change. Probably not too serious if you only rode a few miles since the ACCT change. If there is no more flaking apparent in the oil at the second oil change, everything should be ok.

Make sure you turn the tensioner bolt out to relieve excess pressure before starting the bike again.
Let the spring turn it back in, then start the engine and report back how it sounds and runs then.

Good idea to check oil level as Dave suggests in the previous post.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 07-28-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: clarification of meaning, -change bolt head to pushrod head
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 AM
If only it had 6th gear..

I was thinking about what I did after repairing my stuck float when I posted that last one. I'm trying to start the thing with cylinders full of gas...as well as the gas in the crankcase...oops. The sad thing was that I had the new oil and filter two feet away! And I'm thinkin' "man why won't this thing crank over? Its got a full charge. Doesn't make... aw @$#&!" Ha ha, believe me I thank God it didn't try to fire up and bend a valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement