Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Clint '89

Lightbulb Exhaust we can do it!

I found this page on wrapping pipes, really awsome, planning my ear shave, coastering, rejetting, degoating, pipe wrapping, carburator cleaning, I figured I'd do the pipes as well I just need the correct slips. What I really need is more reading, conversation and information- y'all can spread will make this process easier and more fun.

1. Which mufflers will fit on the degoatted bike, I assume its just comes down to knowing the diameter of the stock pipe, and choosing sometthing great looking, unless (which I doubt) I'm gravely mistaken.

http://www.vabiker.net/2008/05/wrapp...sulating-wrap/

"Someone once told me that watching the birds fly, made them want to go on a journey."

Last edited by ourselfish; 07-05-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Oh, heres the link:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I think it depends on how you de-goat. You will need some type of connecting pipe to reach from the end of the headers to the start of the mufflers. Some here have used flexible exhaust tubing, which will give you a pretty big variety of mufflers to choose from.

Others have used the Scootworks bypass kit which is just two pipes, and a couple of U-bolts and is designed to hook up to stock mufflers. I think many Harley stock mufflers will fit with little modification (mod necessary I think mostly for mounting purposes)

I have seen it recommended to just head on down to the local HD dealership and see what they might have laying around, as many people want the mufflers replaced with straight pipes before they take delivery of there HDs.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Clint '89

There's so many cheep mufflers on ebay that's why I made this post! kind of excited, I just hope I can get it all done soon, I'm flipping through the Manual right now looking for the diameter of the header pipe.

She's my only ride for the time being, so shipping is my only option unless I want to start training for a half marathon. Thanks yeah 1 3/4

"Someone once told me that watching the birds fly, made them want to go on a journey."

Last edited by ourselfish; 07-05-2011 at 03:15 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourselfish View Post
there's so many cheep mufflers on ebay that's why i made this post! Kind of excited, i just hope i can get it all done soon, i'm flipping through the manual right now looking for the diameter of the header pipe.
1 3/4" id
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Clint '89

I was going to use this guide for the ear shave
http://06vn750.blogspot.com/

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourselfish View Post
I was going to use this guide for the ear shave
http://06vn750.blogspot.com/
thats the guide i used, it was missing the k and n air filters on the parts list when i did mine (fixed now) but other than that it was awesome and it went like a charm

1992 vn750, 16000 miles
seat shaved , lowered 2 inches in rear, ears shaved, degoated, cpanel is gone just a drag specialties 2.5" speedo
awaiting some pipes
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Clint '89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddmurdoch View Post
thats the guide i used, it was missing the k and n air filters on the parts list when i did mine (fixed now) but other than that it was awesome and it went like a charm
Yeah lol I guess 'Cindy' found out first hand I'm lucky to benefit from the time Phill spent on it and everyones helpful suggestions.

Anyone with more questions can read the thread about the blog, here;
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18397

I'm anxious to get the procedure, the write up makes performing the operation easy I just want the skill and knowledge to back it up, so that I know how to tune this carburator under any circumstances

I found a great read burried in the forums, 40/140 seems to be the old recommendation 42/142 depending on the altitude. Jeffs guide also juggests numbers which I assume are closer to the mark.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14556

Last edited by ourselfish; 07-05-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: double post
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Clint '89

Ordered my Jets, coasters & filters, been looking at dyna oem 1.75" baffle 24.25" long, 3.25 wide (ideally something thinner would be nice) might have to fabricate a mount to the passenger bracket. Got my wrap in cart. Notes mostly to my self feel free to comment still need, evaporust, por-15 chassis paint nailpolish . As well as a handlebar, and a new head pipe screw, and primer for the fenders. Might be able to get to autozone today or tomorrow. Still waiting on my seat, foot break. test on the 21st.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Are you planning to line the tank with por-15? If so, I recommend this instead: http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm Applied properly, there are no delamination issues as others have experienced with other tank liners.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM

when u do the de-goat, which way do u want the exhaust, both on the right side or one on each side? alot of slipon mufflers come with all u need, mine came with the left header pipe and all the rest went together like a charm .

DRAGONRIDER
RIDE LONG AND RIDE SAFE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement