still rattling - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

still rattling

Well, I did accomplish the ACCT "retensioning" it wasn't too bad, just hard to get my fingers to do what I wanted them to do. ( the fingers I have left, anyway)

There still seemed to be pleanty of spring left before it bottomed out, so I guess they aren't broken. They "snapped back freely" so they aren't sticking. The problem is, I still have a rattling sound, almost like a diesel running. Knocking wasn't a very good description. Is there anything I should look for? I only spent $200.00 on the bike and another $100 in getting it running. As long as it isn't anything serious, I can probably just live with a rattly $300.00 bike and be thankful for what I have.

I hear there is a lot of discussion about how much these bikes rattle. Maybe I'm just too picky. I don't know of any other Vulcan owners, so I don't know what amount of rattling is acceptable.

Any thoughts?

bk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 03:43 PM

buy a set of manual tensioners and it will take the rattle away. i am picky too and can't stand the sound. check my post under manual cam chain tensioners. it will cost you about $100.00 but is well worth it for the amount of money you have into this bike.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 08:11 PM

I'm still trying to figure out whether my engine is rattling from the ACCT issue. I think I hear something every once in a while, but it's definitely not a constant thing. Does anyone have a sound clip of a "genuinely rattling cuz of ACCT issues" engine?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Once Banned

I'm gonna hafta get a mic. Mine usually starts that way for a minute or so, then goes away. I know mine is the ACCT, 'cause thats what it sounds like. Don't ask me how I know that. Follows along with how I can fix a computer by just walking up to it, or turn off a street light by just walking/driving under it.

If your engine rattles, then you have a greater than 90% chance that it's your ACCTs. Get the manual tensioners. At least then you'll have an idea how much adjusting you've done so you'll know when you need to replace cam chains.

(OK, 90 % was arbitrary, but it's probably pretty close)

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 06:17 AM

Well, I installed my V&H Cruzers today. That's eliminated about 90% of the rattling I've heard lately. The stock exhaust system was basically loose and ready to fall off. Now it's nice and tight and sounds even better. What a transformation the bike's undergone with the exhaust upgrade! Anyhow, is there any harm in running the engine with a worn ACCT? Do the chains end up wearing into something and creating a lot of metal flake (that the oil filter will hopefully pickup) or is it a benign condition?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Once Banned

I've read two posts that it is truly malignant. The flake ends up in the screen at the oil drain plug. If the sound comes and goes, then the ACCT is doing its job, at least part time. I'd be concerned if it starts doing it a lot or all the time.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:06 PM

Certainly. Mine sounds pretty goods most of the time, it's occasionally at a light when the engine is hot that I can hear something odd, like the odd tick. Me engine has 14,000 miles on it, so I wouldn't expect it to be in dire need of adjustment, but I will certainly keep an eye on it. Perhaps ride through the season and attempt to fix it in the winter when I'm not riding so often. Thanks!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Once Banned

Come to think of it, when I first heard it (at about 14K miles), it sounded like an engine firing at TDC, if you've ever heard that. Or like loose camshaft rockers hitting the valves. Now when I hear it, it sounds like a loose chain.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 08:37 AM

I had an irregular chain click, ended up being the oil pump chain hitting the crankcase.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 10:46 PM
One Less Car

Somebody please tell me what ACCT retensioning is and how I can do it to my 2005 Vulcan that is starting to get this famous rattle sound?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement