Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Installing Exhaust Wrap

Question...

I'm wanting to put some heat/exhaust wraps on my bike. However, this is all very new to me so I'm wondering:

a) Who has done it

b) What all needs to come off the bike (some pieces seem welded to the frame and exhaust)

c) How to remove heat shields from exhaust (can't simply be unscrewed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM

I have wrapped mine but my pipes are not stock, I used the stock headers cut em off and welded tubes on. The stock heat shields and mufflers are mainly just clamps that are screwed on. Im thinking by the "some pieces welded to frame" you might be referring to the goats belly where all the exhaust collects. This is basically a joint in the pipes again should just be screws and clamps. If you're exhaust is stock theres really not any need to wrap because the only part you could wrap is the headers. Then the heat shields etc will not fit.

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod
Malteese led Turn Signals (Rear)
Paid 750.00$ for her in 2005 w/ 9k
Currently @ 23k and counting
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Wareagle1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeginning View Post
Question...

I'm wanting to put some heat/exhaust wraps on my bike. However, this is all very new to me so I'm wondering:

a) Who has done it

b) What all needs to come off the bike (some pieces seem welded to the frame and exhaust)

c) How to remove heat shields from exhaust (can't simply be unscrewed)
I have not done it, but if you have the stock pipes the heat shields have half moon clamps that hold them on to the pipes. The have a phillips head tip on them.

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Slipstreamer Hellfire windshield
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs
Need Knifemaker to make me a seat like his

Hickory, NC

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Wareagle1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stones750 View Post
I have wrapped mine but my pipes are not stock, I used the stock headers cut em off and welded tubes on. The stock heat shields and mufflers are mainly just clamps that are screwed on. Im thinking by the "some pieces welded to frame" you might be referring to the goats belly where all the exhaust collects. This is basically a joint in the pipes again should just be screws and clamps. If you're exhaust is stock theres really not any need to wrap because the only part you could wrap is the headers. Then the heat shields etc will not fit.
Off-topic, but I like the seat on your bike.

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Slipstreamer Hellfire windshield
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs
Need Knifemaker to make me a seat like his

Hickory, NC
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolesteven View Post
Off-topic, but I like the seat on your bike.
Thank you! It is actually the stock seat, just cut off the back and shaved the excess off. Used two nuts welded into the frame tubes and a small bracket to run the bolts through. It takes more work to get at the battery now but I feel it was worth it lol.

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

It's a cosmetic thing, mostly...just painted the bike satin black and the exhaust's chrome just sticks out too much.

Why could I only wrap the headers?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:41 PM

[IMG]I dont know if the link will show or not but go to Kawasaki.com select owner info then parts diagrams then choose motorcycle, select your year make model etc and choose it then when it opens click on the 49 state model scroll down and choose mufflers. This should show why you cant wrap the stock exhaust. Theres too many sections as well as wrapping will increase the outer diameter of the pipes so the heat shields and clamps etc wouldnt fit.

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod

Last edited by Stones750; 06-23-2011 at 06:44 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
[IMG]I dont know if the link will show or not but go to Kawasaki.com select owner info then parts diagrams then choose motorcycle, select your year make model etc and choose it then when it opens click on the 49 state model scroll down and choose mufflers. This should show why you cant wrap the stock exhaust. Theres too many sections as well as wrapping will increase the outer diameter of the pipes so the heat shields and clamps etc wouldnt fit.

Couldn't I just remove the heat shields, though? I could always do that and stop short of the clamps...

I may just have to rattle can it with high-temp paint :/
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 07:11 PM

Yeah you could do that it might look a little odd near the joints for the belly but after I wrapped mine I went over them with rustoleum matte black bbq paint. After about two years or so the paint is just now fading. You could spray the pipes but it would scratch easy and bake off leaving discoloration.

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah you could do that it might look a little odd near the joints for the belly but after I wrapped mine I went over them with rustoleum matte black bbq paint. After about two years or so the paint is just now fading. You could spray the pipes but it would scratch easy and bake off leaving discoloration.
VHT makes a few products for exhaust painting (up to 2000 degrees)...even a clear coat. If you don't cure it, flaking and such occur but with proper curing it's supposed to last for quite a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement