Coasters or Plugging ? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Coasters or Plugging ?

Question, If I go ahead and plug the line that leads to the reed valve, do I have to worry about the plug being sucked in anywhere? Is there any vacuume on those lines?. Also, If i did the marble trick, how the hell do you get the marble out in case you need to. Does marbling or coasting have any effect on inspection for the bike? oh wait, there is no emmision inspection for the bike.

I would like to plug the hose with something that I can remove later in time if i have to. LIke say a tapered piece of wood that I can drill and put a screw into so i can pull it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 11:38 PM

I don't think one way is better than another, I pulled my whole assembly off except the hose coming from the plastic box under the fuel tank. I used 1/2" ID copper plugs that you use to cap off water lines. 2 were glued on with high temp(red) RTV to the coaster inlets(paint siver for best color match) and 1 was stuck upside down in the hose coming down from under the fuel tank. I took the plug from a bic pen and stuck it in a3/4" piece of the vacume line that attaches to the nipple at the back of the right side carb (When I took the small line off I cut off a small pice to put back over the nipple.. Whole removel and plugging took about 15 mins.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteFox
I have heard many variations of this story. Can't one just plug the hoses to the reed valves? Using the copper end cap sounds like a good idea, and so does using a wooden plug. But with the wood, what do you do with the other 34" of wood dowling?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 AM
85 VN 700

I'd personally be pretty hesitant about putting a wood dowel in there. With the inherent heat, vibration, etc. I think you'd just be asking for trouble. I put appropriate sized rubber caps on there (I pulled the hoses) and it's worked alright. If I wanted to remove and replace with the hoses - I could relatively easy.

If there are no inspections in your area - I wouldn't worry about the replaceability of the system (and yes... doing this mod would probably make ya fail). If ya marble I think ya could get the marble out with enough cursing and if I remember correctly, there's just enough slack that you COULD cut off the section of the hose that was blocked and put it on (definitely verify before counting on it).

I'll be coastering when I have the time to make some of my own - I think I still have a little bit of a leak somewhere in that system and that'll be the best way to insure an airtight seal.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 01:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to oglejust Send a message via MSN to oglejust Send a message via Yahoo to oglejust
if u put marbles in there u can always just pinch the tube a little behind it and it will come out. rememeber u also have to plug the vacuum hose on each end on the right side of the carb, this can be dun by cutting the hose in 1/2 and putting a screws in em

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

.... slightly modified
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 02:17 PM
85 VN 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglejust View Post
if u put marbles in there u can always just pinch the tube a little behind it and it will come out. rememeber u also have to plug the vacuum hose on each end on the right side of the carb, this can be dun by cutting the hose in 1/2 and putting a screws in em
Or spend $4 at the auto parts store (NAPA) for vacuum plugs...

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 11:07 PM

I got coasters on the way for like $28 bucks including shipping. i went with it so I could remove the hoses all together as well as the air valves. just a cleaner look
Sponsored Links
Advertisement