Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Benjammin'

MCCT Conversion

So, I noticed the bike is getting somewhat noisey when its cold, sounds kinda like lifters tapping and general marbles rattling. I am guessing it is time to do the ACCT to MCCT changeout. At least from what I read, that is the general sound it could make when its time...

Anyhow, I ordered a set of MCCT's from TOC manufacturing and was wanting to know if there is anything I need to be careful with or watch out for when installing them. I have the TOC instructions and will follow them closely, but personal experiences from those who have done it are always best. I am planning to do the work on them this weekend, change the oil, and then take a lengthy ride with my son down south.

Also, does the MCCT need to be 'readjusted' after installed and ridden? I want to be sure I have everything with me if I need to perform an adjustment while on the road.

Thanks guys. I always value your help.

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 PM

Sorry to be such an idiot, but I don't know what those acronyms stand for. What is an ACCT and an MCCT and who is TOC?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSkaggs513 View Post
Anyhow, I ordered a set of MCCT's from TOC manufacturing and was wanting to know if there is anything I need to be careful with or watch out for when installing them. I have the TOC instructions and will follow them closely, but personal experiences from those who have done it are always best. I am planning to do the work on them this weekend, change the oil, and then take a lengthy ride with my son down south.

Also, does the MCCT need to be 'readjusted' after installed and ridden? I want to be sure I have everything with me if I need to perform an adjustment while on the road.

Thanks guys. I always value your help.
Before fitting make sure to back out the adjustment bolt a ways so that when you tighten the housing up you don't push on the guide and chain. Basically tightened the adjustment bolt until you feel it contact the guide. Then start up the bike and listened to the wonderful "diesel" racket. Slowly turn the bolt by hand until the noise goes away. Then back it out a turn and tightened the locknut. Just to be safe run the engine through some rev ranges and then repeat the adjustment. End result so far is a nice quiet engine.

Total time was about 20 minutes and it was a very simple install

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds View Post
Sorry to be such an idiot, but I don't know what those acronyms stand for. What is an ACCT and an MCCT and who is TOC?
ACCT - Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner
MCCT - Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
TOC Manufacturing - http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/Manu...nTensioner.htm

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Benjammin'

Thanks Deuce. That was pretty much what I was thinking (and the instructions said). Looks like it is a pretty straightforward install.

Sorry for the acronyms Burk. I'm lazy (and a horrible speller)....

Thanks guys.

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to RaisingCain
don't mean to make ya feel bed but there is a thread on this forum that allows you to make your own MCCT's. I just did it on my bike and it costed me less then $10 for both sides!

Mike "CoolMan" Cain

'96 750 "Able"
New Handlebars
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn levers
Kuryakyn offset highway pegs
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Bag stays
Cheap soft bags
Ear shave
Coastered
MF Battery w/ tender
R/R
12V Outlet
Tank Bag
Sport Style tinted windshield
V&H Cruisers
Luggage Rack

To Do List:
New Tires next year
Hid lights
Front Brakes
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 AM
1985 VN-700

What is the take on these from those who have used them. I am a fan of automatic anything so how long is it before you need adjustment? Does the spring have a little cushion to eliminate premature wear? Seems to me it would.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2fish View Post
What is the take on these from those who have used them. I am a fan of automatic anything so how long is it before you need adjustment? Does the spring have a little cushion to eliminate premature wear? Seems to me it would.
I do not think so. Not designed to do that. There is another mechanism inside the engine that may provide this function, not sure.

The next mod I am doing to my bike is the MCCT conversion. I am not doing it for any other reason than to hedge my bets against catastrophic failure of the cam chain tensioners.

There has been more than one post to this board describing an ACCT spring breaking. This minor part failure can cause the valves to kiss the piston heads. Very bad. By removing the spring from the system in favor of a more reliable technology (MCCT), the likelyhood of having this type of failure is reduced significantly.

I did try the $10 route for MCCT's. Got the bolts, locknuts, and neoprene washers. After putting one together and evaluating, I decided that though seemingly effective for some satisfied folks, it was still not a reliable fix for me. There was way too much play in the system, and I found that IMHO there was still a possibility for the same type failure as with the spring. I did ultimately buy the TOC MCCT's because they are designed exactly as I would want them to be designed, and not just band-aidish and weak. Sturdy and rock solid was the way to go for me.

I have not received them yet, but I think it will be a bonus not to have the interference with the coolant bottle as well.

Though the price for the TOC MCCT's may be higher than $10, my feeling is you get what you pay for. I don't feel bad at all about the $100 purchase.

my2cents.

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)

Last edited by ZCraggRatt; 06-14-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spailin'
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Benjammin'

I did see the post about making your own MCCT on here. I, too am kind of a stickler for having the meat and looks to make a fix a premanent fix. So, I ordered the TOC units last week. The price was a little shocking, but I felt the look will be worth it.

I would assume the biggest threat with the MCCT/TOC units is overtightening the adjustment. I imagine I will probably have to tinker with them somewhat to find the sweet spot.

To add insult to injury, I am traveling on business and my wife just told me a very heavy envelope arrived in the mail for me. Crap.

I will report my install results (when I get home).

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.

Last edited by BSkaggs513; 06-14-2011 at 05:44 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:23 PM

Been running the homemade MCCTs for over 10k. No problems with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement