V&H exhaust and voltage regulator - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

V&H exhaust and voltage regulator

Question, I have a 2004 750. It has a full Vance & Hines exhaust on it.
I read that a suggested mod is to move the voltage regulator from under the battery box to the side near the passenger peg because the stock exhaust "goats belly" gets really hot and can damage or affect the voltage regulator over time.
Since my bike has a full Vance & Hines exhaust on it do I still have that problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

If you have the V&H Cruzers complete exhaust setup which eliminates the "Goats Belly" then you are good and the regulator is fine where it is from the factory. If you just have V&H slip-on mufflers and the "Goats Belly" is still in place....then yes .....move the Regulator ASAP! Even if the "Goats Belly" is removed you can still relocate the regulator to over by the rear passenger foot peg......it will run cooler than the factory spot.....but it is OK to leave it under the battery box as the dangerous heat from the "Goats Belly" is no longer an issue.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRET H View Post
If you have the V&H Cruzers complete exhaust setup which eliminates the "Goats Belly" then you are good and the regulator is fine where it is from the factory.
True!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I have the full V&H exhaust. There is no crossover goats belly anymore.
The V&H exhaust was installed when the bike was new in 2004. I just bought it this year. It only has 5K on it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcable View Post
Yea, I have the full V&H exhaust. There is no crossover goats belly anymore.
The V&H exhaust was installed when the bike was new in 2004. I just bought it this year. It only has 5K on it.
Do you like the V & H pipes?

EZC

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 PM

Just curious..any problem with having the regulator in factory position..no goat's belly..but drivin' regularly on gravel driveway?? Just worried about rocks maybe hitting it??

New rider/mechanic of '85 VN700 Vulcan. (25k miles)

Link to bike restoration blog:
http://trailofthewolf.blogspot.com/s...%20Restoration
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflrv View Post
Just curious..any problem with having the regulator in factory position..no goat's belly..but drivin' regularly on gravel driveway?? Just worried about rocks maybe hitting it??
IMHO there is no problem leaving the r/r in the stock position with the goats belly removed.

And probably no problem leaving it there with the gb in place either. The r/r is designed to operate in a HOT environment, and probably creates more heat on its own, than it absorbs from the gb anyway. I have not always believed this, but do feel this way now. Cooler is better, but I feel we have a tendency to be a bit anal about the necessity of an r/r relocation.

The physical case of the r/r is robust and not particularly suseptible to damage from flying gravel when mounted on the bottom of the battery box.
Those who did the shindigen/mosfet r/r change out had the r/r mounted in the stock position with the gb removed and do not seem concerned about flying objects.
Again JMHO.

PS. Hey wolf, just reread the part about a gravel diveway. How long is the drive and how fast do you travel on it? If you are riding a mile at 60 mph there may be more gravel flying than I previously considered, but I still would not be too worried about breaking the r/r.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-21-2011 at 12:46 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

I don't ride on gravel so thats not an issue.
One thing I always have to remember when being a member of a forum like this is that in the grand scheme of things regarding the VN750 and all the years it has been made and all the 10's of thousands of bikes manufactured and still running great, most of these owners and bikes aren't members of a forum and have no clue that there is a potential issue with the rectifier or the dry spline issue or the weak charging issue. Those owners just ride their bikes and most of them put 10's of thousands of trouble free miles on them.
I can equate this to people that drive cars that have interferance motors and timing belts. For the people who know.. these belts need to be changed anywhere from 60K to 105K depending on the manufacturer. These people change their belts when they are supposed to and all is good with the world.
The other people, who have no clue, for the most part put hundreds of thousands of miles on their cars with the original belts and never have a problem. When I pulled the belt on my 2000 Neon with 105K on it as part of routine maintenance, it looked brand new. My waterpump looked new too. So did my front seal. After changing everything I have had a few issues with the car. Prior to that, not a single thing ever went wrong with it.
just saying..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRector View Post
Do you like the V & H pipes?
Yes, V & H makes great pipes. They have a nice throaty deep sound that really compliments the V-Twin motor. They also look nice. Most of my bikes have had V&H pipes on them. There aren't alot of choices for pipes for the VN750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement