I'm tearing apart the engine on my VN750 with the intention of rebuilding it. I'm going to try and document the entire process in a series of YouTube videos.
Thanks to everyone for the tips so far, and please give me a shout if you have any more.
I'm going to put all the videos in this first post to make them easier to find.
I've also created a YouTube Playlist with all the videos
1985 Kawasaki Vulcan Engine Rebuilt Playlist
I've been asked to note that the procedures in the videos are applicable to all model years from 1985 to 2006 for the Vulcan 700/750.
EDIT 4: Here is a crude spreadsheet with the cost
1985 Kawasaki Vulcan Engine Rebuild
- Removing & Disassembling Heads
- Removing Clutch, Starter Gear, Right Balancer, Right Cam Chains & Sprockets, Rear Cylinder, Stator & Cover
- Removing & Cleaning Valves, Removing HLA oil filter, Cleaning Heads
- Removing Flywheel, Left Balancer, Left Cam Chains & Sprockets, Front Cylinder
- Removing Final Drive, Damper Cam, External Shift Mechanism Cover, Oil Filter Plate
- Removing Pistons, Engine Case Bolts, Splitting Engine Case, Removing Crank Shaft, Transmission, Oil lines,
- Removing Water Pump Shaft, Water Pump Mechanical Seal, Oil Pump Sprocket & Chain, Balancer Shaft, Oil Pump, Left Side Oil Pipe, Oil Pressure Relief Valve, Oil PAssage Cover, Shift Drum, Shift Mechanism, Tie Rod & Shaft
- Bleeding HLAs, Checking Tolerances on Cam Shafts & Cam Shaft Covers
- Checking Tolerance on Heads, Cam Shafts, Cam Chains, HLA Leak Down, Valves, Valve Guides, Valve Seats
- Checking Tolerances on Valve Springs, Cylinders, Pistons, Piston Rings
- Checking Tolerances on Clutch Plates, De-glazing Clutch Plates, Checking Tolerances on Oil Pump
- Checking Tolerances on Crankshaft, Transmission, Honing Cylinders
- Lapping Valves
- Drilling Clutch Hub (Fix Coffee Grinder Noise), Installing Valves
- Installing HLAs, Rocker Arms & Springs
- Installing Oil Pump, Balancer Shaft, Oil Pump Chain & Sprocket, Oil Passage Cover, Oil Relief Valve, Oil Lines
- Installing Internal Shift Mechanism (Tie Rod, Shift Shaft, Shift Arm), Oil Pump Chain Guide, Oil Return Line, Water Pump Mechanical Seal, Water Pump Impeller & Shaft.
- Installing Shift Drum, Gear Position Lever, External Shift Mechanism Cover, Transmission
- Install Crankshaft, Combining Crank Case Halves, Oil Filter Plate, Starter Idler Gear, Right Side Balancer
- Install Left Side Balancer, Flywheel, Pistons,
- Install Cylinders, Cam Chains, Cam Chain Guides
- Install Heads and Spark Plug Retainers
- Installing Cam Shafts, Setting Cam Chain Timing, Installing Cam Cap, Cam Chain Tensioners, and Cam Shaft Cover
- Installing Flywheel, Primary Gear, Pick up coil mod, Shift Shaft Oil Seal, Left Side Engine Cover, Pick Up Coil Gap, External Oil Lines, Oil Pressure Switch
- Installing Clutch, Right Side Engine Cover, Clutch Cover
- Installing the Exhaust manifolds, Oil Drain Plugs, Carburetors, Starter motor, Final Drive Gearbox. Mounting the engine and starting the bike.