VN750 Engine Rebuild Videos - Page 12 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Hey oddozoo,

I'm glad they helped.

Are you saying it's hard to spin the crank without the heads on? The crank should spin with very little resistance on it's bearings.

It's been a long time since I worked on this, could you link a timestamp in a video were you are at? I'm having a hard time visualizing what might be fouling up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 02:02 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Nice to hear from you again. I have watched all your videos, but just don't have the patience to rebuild a VN750 engine. It is several times easier (and faster) to rebuild a small block Chevy (the old school cast iron one) I did have the front head off my 2006 H-D Sportster 1200 to have spark plug threads repaired. What a simple engine. There are advantages to the H-D EVO engine. I recommend anyone who has just bought or is thinking about buying a Vulcan 750 to watch your videos, just to see what they have. I much prefer simple myself, but I like the Vulcan 750 so much I am on my third one. First two were bought new.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #113 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

I hear ya Jerry. The VN750 has to be the worst bike I've ever dealt with when it comes to removing and installing the carburetors. I wanted to play around with mine and get the jetting perfect for the ear shave and de-goat, but pulling the carburetors was just too much of a hassle. I ended up going back to the stock air boxes and exhaust.

post #114 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You went BACK to the stock airboxes and exhaust? I have to wonder why. I've never heard of anyone else doing that before. I love the stock intake and exhaust, and have kept it on all my Vulcan 750s. Removing and reinstalling the carburetors is not easy compared to most bikes, but there are exceptions. The carbs on the first gen Honda Shadow VLX600 and the original Suzuki Intruder 800 are just as hard if not harder to work on. I have found a couple of ways that make getting the Vulcan 750 carbs on and off a bit easier. One is to trim some excess rubber off the airbox end of the ducts that go from the airbox to the carbs, which makes them more flexible and easier to get into place. Another is to use zip ties to hold the airbox (surge tank) right up against the top frame tube, to allow more working room and to prevent it from falling down in the way. Yes, this does require removing some other parts, but that is not really hard to do. A 1/4" wooden dowel rod with the sharp edges sanded down can help seat the upper end of the ducts in the surge tank (do not use a screwdriver, it will poke a hole in the duct) Soaking everything in WD-40 to make it slippery makes an amazing difference. I just used WD-40 to mount a new 150/90-15 rear tire, and it popped right on. If it is cold, a blow dryer will help soften the rubber. Don't use a heat gun, it will melt everything. But perhaps the best thing is to take your time and not get frustrated. It really isn't as hard as it seems when you are doing it for the first time. I got the whole engine out and back in without having to fight with anything, everything fit perfectly. But to do that I did have to practically disassemble the rest of the bike to get everything out of the way to avoid having to work around it.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #115 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I was getting abysmal fuel economy with the ear-shave and de-goat. I wanted to play around with the jetting and get it dialed in, but the thought of having to remove ans install the carbs several times was too daunting. I still have all the stuff and might revisit it some day. I did notice a decrease in power going back to stock, but not an off-putting amount.

I think I've tried a lot of those tricks! I haven't trimmed anything nor used the wooden dowel though. WD-40 is your friend for sure. I've even made custom "guides" from 2L pop bottles to help the rubber boots find their place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement