Need help with a Honda Shadow 700 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Glenn C.

Need help with a Honda Shadow 700

Hey I know this is a vn750 forum, and members on here are great, I own a 2001 vn750 and everyone is always so helpful. So i wana come here first about this other bike:

My girlfriends brother wants a bike, a co-worker of mine has one for sell. a 1984 Honda shadow 700.
The good: all new blinkers, new tires, seat is good, and the usual. 28K miles.
The bad: Hard to start, backfires, was flooding it easily, he says the carbs need cleaning.
He also didnt have much gas in the tank when he stored it for winter, and he put in alot of seafoam, and thats why i think its not starting easily. I was able to replace two of the 4 spark plugs, the other two i didnt have the special thin wall plug tool.
The engine seems to be oily dirty up front, like maybe a leaky gasket, he thinks its just from the front fork seals, which were replaced a while ago but the mess never got clean up.
Once we got it started with full choke and giving her gas, it really wouldnt just idle, wanted to die. Again gas/seafoam and carbs i think.
I was able to ride it down the road, went thru all the gears, got it up to about 65.
Also the right side exhaust, it smokes at the motor, like maybe the exhaust was taken off and somethings wrong with the gasket in there, if there is one.

I am going to go back with the right tools to do the other two plugs and do a compression test.
Does anyone know what a good compression reading should be??

Any other advice????? Tips, anything??

He only wants $800 for the bike.
He tank isnt dented, but scratched up, its re-paintable tho. Has a nice big windshield.

Also, this guy bought this bike from another co-worker, who had it for like 6 years, it was his wife's but she lost interest and it just sat, then he sold it to the guy who has it now, last year. He rode it some last summer, but then stored it for winter, and is now buying a bigger 1300 from his brother-in-law.

Peace

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page
VN750 Stator Plates and Products

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 (being restored)
1986 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
1985 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)

Last edited by gcextreme; 05-10-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 10:56 PM

Not sure about the compression on it but the price sounds like it just a bit to much for something that old in need of work..

1995 VN750 (SOLD)
05-06 CBR600 R/R
ACCT>MCCT mod
engine guard w/HW pegs
Tires, 230's (170/110)
Smaller blinkers
Driving lights
Pickup coil mod
Speedo delete
mirrors w/reverse mount
Black grips

2000 Buell X1 Lightning
Carbon fiber fender F&R
Carbon fiber fly screen
Carbon fiber race intake
Works Shock
V&H Muffler
SS headers

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Glenn C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncgizmo View Post
Not sure about the compression on it but the price sounds like it just a bit to much for something that old in need of work..
You think the price is a bit much?? It runs, i was able to go about 2 to 4 miles and get it up to about 65 or so.
My first bike i bought for $400, i had to put new tires, new plugs, new battery, new speedo and tach cables, new chain and sprockets, and rebuild the front fork seals.

It may be too high, but around here i see people selling smaller 550s for like $900 in ok condition.
Another friend just bought his wife a 90s something honda 250cc rebel for $1100 !! And it still needs new tires!

Anyway, if anyone has any tips on the carb and seafoam thing, let me know.
What would that do, if you had like 1/4 gallon in the tank and put in a whole 16oz can of seafoam??
It says 1oz to each gallon!!

Glenn C
Alexandria, MN
My VN750 Page
VN750 Stator Plates and Products

2001 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750
1986 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 (being restored)
1986 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)
1985 Kawasaki 454LTD (being restored)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'd drain the tank and put that fuel in my cage. Add fresh gas and see how it runs. I'm guessing here, but would think the compression would be around 130-160 or so? I'd be more concerned if the cylinders weren't within about 5 lbs of each other.

I don't think the price is unreasonable, especially if getting the Sea Foam out cures the running issues.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:01 AM

Garage
if it looks pretty good that isn't that bad price wise,used bikes have took ajump in price along with the price of gas.

As for adding more seafoam ,right now I believe I would ad some more fresh gas and dilute it down a little since he says he already dosed it up pretty good.compression should be within 10 percent of each other,and i would think they should both be above 100 psi and up to around 120 ,that is a ball park guess,nothing to go by other than past experiences,when you crank the engine to test the compression hold the throttle wide open with the plugs all un plugged to get a true reading,And if you have time leave the gauge on to see how fast they leak down,it will tell you if you have a leaking set of rings or a valve leaking,againt both cylinders shold showabout the same amount of leakage,good luck

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncgizmo View Post
I agree with Ron, but whatever he is willing to pay I guess. I'd shoot him an offer of $600 Cash if he really want's the bike.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 AM

Well lessee here...according to the "Official" factory shop manual for the '83 VT750C and '84-'85 VT700C Shadows, the compression should be 171 psi, + or - 28 psi.

800 bucks ain't too bad if it's in decent shape other than not running right. As for Honda Rebels, I've seen '80s model 250s sell for $1500-$2000; that's one bike that holds its value. As the Shark said, I'd offer $600, and go from there.

I'd dump the gas, flush out the tanks (yes, there's two, the main and auxiliary) and fuel lines, and pull the carbs and clean them. Also check the fuel pump (it's got one of them, too, and it's electric), altho it sounds like it's working. Check vacuum lines, and the air connector between the carbs.

You really need a manual for this stuff. I've got it in *.pdf; squirt me a PM with an e-mail address, and I'll send you a copy.

One thing; fuel system parts for these bikes, including the pump and carb parts, are difficult to find, but not impossible. May take some patience looking if you need something; kits occasionally turn up on eBay.

As for oil stains/leaks, I'd worry about seeing whether it'll run right first, then clean it up and see. Smoking at the pipe/head join could be residue from the fork seal leak, too, altho I suspect it's from a leaky gasket and the excess Seafoam in the fuel.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets

Last edited by J.D.; 05-11-2011 at 01:31 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
Well lessee here...according to the "Official" factory shop manual for the '83 VT750C and '84-'85 VT700C Shadows, the compression should be 171 psi, + or - 28 psi.

800 bucks ain't too bad if it's in decent shape other than not running right. As for Honda Rebels, I've seen '80s model 250s sell for $1500-$2000; that's one bike that holds its value. As the Shark said, I'd offer $600, and go from there.

I'd dump the gas, flush out the tanks (yes, there's two, the main and auxiliary) and fuel lines, and pull the carbs and clean them. Also check the fuel pump (it's got one of them, too, and it's electric), altho it sounds like it's working. Check vacuum lines, and the air connector between the carbs.

You really need a manual for this stuff. I've got it in *.pdf; squirt me a PM with an e-mail address, and I'll send you a copy.

One thing; fuel system parts for these bikes, including the pump and carb parts, are difficult to find, but not impossible. May take some patience looking if you need something; kits occasionally turn up on eBay.

As for oil stains/leaks, I'd worry about seeing whether it'll run right first, then clean it up and see. Smoking at the pipe/head join could be residue from the fork seal leak, too, altho I suspect it's from a leaky gasket and the excess Seafoam in the fuel.

Jim
There you go ,the right numbers,no guessing

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement