no resistance on clutch lever - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Talking no resistance on clutch lever

I recently removed the engine and replaced the stator and didn't remove the drive section of the clutch. When installing the clutch cable I noticed the clutch lever doesn't have any resistance to pull the cable. Is there a hydraulic lifter that applies the pressure. I can manually rotate the lever and the clutch will engage/disengage.

My Enuf.
1995 Vulcan 750
New wires and plugs
Removed and cleaned carbs
re routed air line to right ear
re built transmission
New stator
New RR
New throttle cables
New clutch cable
New wiring harness
New Ignition switch
TIME to Ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:19 PM

You said the clutch dont engage using the handle but you can engage it at the clutch release lever? You had to remove the front bevel gear case to remove your engine. When you did that you should of seen a rod sticking out of the engine, This is the clutch push rod. I just went thru a stator replacement and my clutch release lever (the thing the cable attatches to) got turned a few times and the pin that the lever moves got misplaced. It has a gear on one side and the movement of the clutch release lever moves this pin in and out engaging the clutch push rod. what i had to do to fix mine was reengage the gears on the pin with the lever, spin the lever so the pin retracted all the way then i was able to install my gear case. ( my problem was the pin was out to far and i could not install the bevel gear case). I removed the clutch release lever spun the shaft so it would ingage the pushrod then reinstalling the lever, there is a thick line on the bevel gear case that has to be lined up with the gap on the clutch release lever. Hopefully my problem helps explain how it works, and you can figure it out from here. Does the lever spin easy as if you were pulling on the clutch? it should be really hard to move with your hand.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

The clutch cable instructions mentioned rotating the clutch clockwise, is that correct? I can rotate the lever counter clockwise as if the clutch cable was pulling the lever and get tension but how do you connect the clutch cable?

My Enuf.
1995 Vulcan 750
New wires and plugs
Removed and cleaned carbs
re routed air line to right ear
re built transmission
New stator
New RR
New throttle cables
New clutch cable
New wiring harness
New Ignition switch