Coolant tank - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Coolant tank

Apologies if this has already been asked - I searched, and did not really find an adequate answer.

My 87 750 has seen better days before I purchased it. The coolant reservoir ruptured - it was completely brittle when I was checking it - and while running the engine to warm it up for an oil change, I saw the coolant pooling out onto the ground. The tank as stated had a small hole in it, and was causing the coolant to leak out when the engine was hot.

The local Kawasaki Dealer is ordering me a new reservoir, and it should be in late next week sometime. I have 2 major questions:

1. Once I put the new reservoir in, and fill it up with the green stuff (50/50) Do I need to do an airbleed of the system?

2. Looking at the old tank, it looks like the tube that comes from the top right hand side as you look at it - has been missing, I could not find it on the ground under the bike. In the Kawasaki manual it calls that tube the "Lower hose/Breather hose" whats it for? Looking at the picture, it doesn't appear to connect to anything - so is this an overflow tube?

Thanks
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Into the Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewr View Post
Apologies if this has already been asked - I searched, and did not really find an adequate answer.

My 87 750 has seen better days before I purchased it. The coolant reservoir ruptured - it was completely brittle when I was checking it - and while running the engine to warm it up for an oil change, I saw the coolant pooling out onto the ground. The tank as stated had a small hole in it, and was causing the coolant to leak out when the engine was hot.

The local Kawasaki Dealer is ordering me a new reservoir, and it should be in late next week sometime. I have 2 major questions:

1. Once I put the new reservoir in, and fill it up with the green stuff (50/50) Do I need to do an airbleed of the system?

2. Looking at the old tank, it looks like the tube that comes from the top right hand side as you look at it - has been missing, I could not find it on the ground under the bike. In the Kawasaki manual it calls that tube the "Lower hose/Breather hose" whats it for? Looking at the picture, it doesn't appear to connect to anything - so is this an overflow tube?

Thanks
Andrew
No you do not have to do an air bleed of the system, and that hose that goes on top of the res tank is in deed an over flow tube. That way if it over flows it will just leak onto the ground. Just go to your local auto parts store and but a vacuum line that is of that size and in between the frame and the swing arm there's that good sized space. Just let the hose drop off there.

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
English Version

ACCT to MCCT conversion video
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18235

ACCT to MCCT Conversion Thread created by wib714
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

Proximity Construction
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 AM

The previous reply is close, but, not entirely correct. The manual does state to do an air bleed, that's what the nipple is put there for. However, you can fill the system pretty well without the bleed process if you take a few moments to run the bike on the center stand. It can develop air pockets in the cylinder jackets that will leave you about 2 cups short of a full fill if you don't. Also, the reservoir should be properly filled between the lines on the tank...in that way if she burps a little air when first hot, it will reverse suck some of the reservoir into the system and you're good to go. Check the tank level once a week if you ride every day in the summer.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Into the Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
The previous reply is close, but, not entirely correct. The manual does state to do an air bleed, that's what the nipple is put there for. However, you can fill the system pretty well without the bleed process if you take a few moments to run the bike on the center stand. It can develop air pockets in the cylinder jackets that will leave you about 2 cups short of a full fill if you don't. Also, the reservoir should be properly filled between the lines on the tank...in that way if she burps a little air when first hot, it will reverse suck some of the reservoir into the system and you're good to go. Check the tank level once a week if you ride every day in the summer.
Sorry I asked a buddy of mine that works on bike, and he said don't need to air bleed it. Sorry about that.

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
English Version

Proximity Construction
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:08 PM

Duh, yeah, I said you don't HAVE TO air bleed it...but if you don't put it on the center stand and at least run the engine 60 seconds to make sure there are no air pockets, then you're just plain too lazy to do things 100 percent and make certain your bike is 100 percent. Next thing you know, you're posting one of those "why did my bike do this" questions. WTF, is it too much trouble to take an extra 60 seconds??
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:10 PM

And if you had to "ask your buddy", then you shouldn't be giving other people advice by shooting from the hip. Bad mojo.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned

geezzz.............ruff crowd today.....
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:09 PM

@Surak
Yeah, the GF is out of town this weekend and I get hostile without a daily taste.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Into the Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
And if you had to "ask your buddy", then you shouldn't be giving other people advice by shooting from the hip. Bad mojo.
The reason why I asked my friend about it is because the way I fill my bike with coolant is putting it on the center stand, fill the radiator, start the bike, let it run, and finish filling it. He said it doesn't need to be air bled cause that's the way his shop fills bikes as well. Getting advice from someone that is the 3rd generation at this bike shop is good advice. I just didn't put all the details in my reply about how to fill it and everything. It's not bad mojo; it's advice from someone that owns a bike shop in my area.

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
English Version

Proximity Construction
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMatrix View Post
The reason why I asked my friend about it is because the way I fill my bike with coolant is putting it on the center stand, fill the radiator, start the bike, let it run, and finish filling it. He said it doesn't need to be air bled cause that's the way his shop fills bikes as well. Getting advice from someone that is the 3rd generation at this bike shop is good advice. I just didn't put all the details in my reply about how to fill it and everything. It's not bad mojo; it's advice from someone that owns a bike shop in my area.
Well as the old adage goes- "The devil is in the details".
I, at least, learned something from this little exchange. Thanks.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement