Shop Says ACCT bad I say no...I think - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
2005 Silver

Send a message via Yahoo to Wilkman
Shop Says ACCT bad I say no...I think

Had new MT66s put on yesterday and they tried to tell me that the ACCT needed replacing for $360 (don't think so) So when the bike is cold I can hear very faint valve train noise don't think there is a quite chain driven timing set. I can hear the "whine/wherr" noise if I take around the block w/o a helmet on. With helmet on I only hear exhaust. From the sound of this problem I would hear something off with or withoput the helmet. I bought the bike last year and it had been sitting for almost a year. I have noticed no new nosies in that time. I would expect it would have gotten louder if the chain had slack in it that long. I tried the GAMBO trick lastnight they both turned 5-6 times easley CW and then very quickly back CCW when I let the screwdriver slide in my hand. If they were bad I don't think they would be so "snappy" going back. Just wanted to get everyone's experance who has for sure had this problem. Thanks in advance.

PS I think I will order the kit from TOC since $35 to be sure seems like pretty cheap insurance. Now that I have got a good look at them seems like about an hour project to rebuild them. (The shop told me 1-2 hrs to replace them with new units. Please I could swap them out in 45mins and I'm not the pro. Guess the tires don't generate enough profit when they only get about $70 labor to mount and balance them, Was a local small bike shop and not dealer also I try to support the little guy but damn)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Old Fart

Garage
When the ACCT goes bad...you will hear it. Before it even gets "bad" you will hear "tapatatapata" sounds, which go away after the bike warms up. If they don't go away ....then you need to take a look.

$350? .......You can send me $175 for the diagnosis above.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Before you spend $35 on the HD TOC springs take a look at wibs ACCT to MCCT conversion.
It was done for $7 for the front cylinder with parts from the local hardware store.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

No shipping, no waiting, and probably quicker than putting the TOC springs in.
Also totally reversible if desired.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Old Truck Junkie

For 50$ I will advise you to go directly to TOC mcct's. Don't bother with the stronger springs. In some cases they will not work.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

I went with the TOC springs and it worked out fine for me.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

For $20 bucks I will tell you to perform the GRAMBO trick before everything else.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
2005 Silver

Send a message via Yahoo to Wilkman
So did some more digging and testing. With the bike cold and the caps off the ACCTs I started it up and slowly turned them CW and then I heard what they sound like when its not right. let them snap back and just normal valve train noise. No way they are bad yet. They were just trying to sucker me and that pisses me off the most. Hell they even messed with my clutch lever adjustment so the lever snaps back tight but my fingers are not long enough to gracfly enage from a stop that way. I just wanted rubber and the final drive givin a once over and a lube. Guess I need to stick to me myself and I for the work.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkman View Post
...Guess I need to stick to me myself and I for the work.
With the exception of tire changes, no one lays a hand on my bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement