Bafflers - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Bafflers

Does anyone know where I can purchase the left and right bafflers without buying the whole exhaust ends new? I'm thinking I don't have enough back pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

See if this helps. They list several as fitting the V 750. I don't know what size we need.
http://www.jpcycles.com/2001-kawasak...affles&Ntk=All

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier

Last edited by JM2001; 05-04-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: different link
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

That helps a lot, however, I would assume the choice I make will affect the back pressure a huge amount and would like to get as close to the OEM as possible ... I have one of the originals but if I'm going to buy a new one I might as well replace them both. Would anyone be interested in fabricating this for me? I'm looking to purchase asap ...

Edit: WOAH. On second look, my pipes are pretty much cleared. There's nothing inside of them, and the one baffle that I have looks nothing like what I've been seeing on these forums. I'll post pictures, but what is this doing to my engine? Do I have to rejet? Any suggestions?

Last edited by vulcanpower; 05-04-2011 at 04:35 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Bump ... I know I'm double posting, but does anyone know if I will need to resize my jets due to the loss of back pressure running the pipes without any baffles?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Highly unlikely that you'll need to rejet BECAUSE of a lack of back pressure. The air/fuel ratio remains virtually unchanged due to any increase/decrease in scavenging due only to minor exhaust changes such as baffles except at the very top end of the rpm scale. If you run the bike at over 7500 rpms for an hour or so it's gonna get hot and eventually burn the exhaust valves. However, the VN750 does benefit power-wise from CORRECT tuning, which involves more than just seat-of-the-pants feel or generalized guessing by reading spark plug colors. An exhaust gas analyzer is needed at the very least, and a dyno always proves fact from fiction. That being said, the Keihin CVK seems a little lean from the factory as a compromise to CAFE standards and a bump up in jets is commonplace. But you're not going to do the bike any harm by just running stock jets without exhaust baffles. Now for all the kids that like loud toys and remove the tuned chamber (goat's belly), removing that item saves a few pounds and immediately loses 4-5 Hp and an equal amount of midrange torque. But you seem to be going in the correct direction, so Kudos to you.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM

Dyna's

Curious what do you think about a set of Dyna's connected to the goats belly? Has anyone tried this? I want to keep my low end torque but with a bit more rumble. Not V&H screaming rumble just a bit more but I am reluctant to drill my stock baffles because you can't go back.

The Admiral

2000vn750
16000 miles and counting

Items done:
Plugs beaded/gapped at .032
Marbled
Carbs at 3.5 turns
Seafoam tank and crank
Rotella Syn 5W-40
Spline lube
Ovsz Shinko230's
Grambo - cam chains
Pickups gapped at .020
R/R relocate
Sealed Battery

To Do:
Iridium plugs
LED Lighting and 100W Bulb
Acct to Mcct Conv
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 AM
Banned

I ran a set of Dynas hooked to the goats belly, and I really liked the sound, and they didn't affect my low end torque or power at all. I think I might have had a slight increase as it would idle better and wind up quicker than with stock mufflers. The sound was great, had a nice low rumble and sounded awesome at hiway speeds.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:35 AM
laorentou10

Pay no attention, I'm just a stupid spammer that shows up every day with a different ID and from a fake IP

Last edited by Dianna; 05-18-2011 at 12:43 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Highly unlikely that you'll need to rejet BECAUSE of a lack of back pressure. The air/fuel ratio remains virtually unchanged due to any increase/decrease in scavenging due only to minor exhaust changes such as baffles except at the very top end of the rpm scale. If you run the bike at over 7500 rpms for an hour or so it's gonna get hot and eventually burn the exhaust valves. However, the VN750 does benefit power-wise from CORRECT tuning, which involves more than just seat-of-the-pants feel or generalized guessing by reading spark plug colors. An exhaust gas analyzer is needed at the very least, and a dyno always proves fact from fiction. That being said, the Keihin CVK seems a little lean from the factory as a compromise to CAFE standards and a bump up in jets is commonplace. But you're not going to do the bike any harm by just running stock jets without exhaust baffles. Now for all the kids that like loud toys and remove the tuned chamber (goat's belly), removing that item saves a few pounds and immediately loses 4-5 Hp and an equal amount of midrange torque. But you seem to be going in the correct direction, so Kudos to you.
This is completely wrong. Backpressure isn't needed. Freeing up the exhaust simply leans out the mixture on the carbs... and they are already on the lean side from the factory. That's the only reason straight pipes/deleting the 'goats belly' will lose power if swapped with no jet changes. The FIRST thing most people do with dirt bikes (easier to work on) is to free up the exhaust and jet up the carb. Nice seat of the pants difference in power. People also do it with street bikes when switching to free flowing exhausts, as it puts the bike in an extremely lean condition.

An engine is an air pump. It doesn't need backpressure. I've been doing this stuff for a very long time.

05 VN750
Iridium Plugs
Spline Lubed front/rear
ignition pickups gapped
AGM Battery
Relocated MOSFET R/R
Coaster Mod
Pilot Screws at 2-1/4 turns
Slipstreamer S-08 Windshield
F&S Saddlebags/Mounts
Luggage Rack
12V Outlet
Mustang Seat
sissy bar
Oversized Pirelli Front Tire
6k miles

PW50, XR50, TTR90, XR100, DT175 (2-smoker), CRF230F, XR250R (dual sported), XR400R 4 KIDS, LOL!

1966 mustang street/strip
4-speed, nitrous
[email protected] 135.6
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:10 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

laorentu10, a spammer, has been reported.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement