Coolant Leak - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Question Coolant Leak

I have a leak in the cylinder base gasket on the front cylinder. It's a very small leak, and it only opens up when the bike is sitting cold. When running, the leak seals. It's not even enough to drip. It's less than a thimble full I would guess. I'm getting no smoke or sign of coolant in the oil.

I was wondering if anyone has used a stop leak product to seal a similar leak. It looks to be seeping from a very small area. I know the best thing to do is go ahead and replace the 5$ gasket, but I just don't wanna have to take everything apart, as I rely on the bike as my daily driver.

Thanks,
T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:04 PM

From my exp, i don't like stop leak stuff. Any car i've tried it in it seals EVERY leak including small coolant hoses. But perhaps with a bike it's diffrent. If it were me i'd use a small bit of gold permatex silicone. Any body want to correct me? I'll admit it's a bit of a cop out. =)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Don't use stop leak in the bike. Our passages are smaller than most cars and the stop leak could plug those leading to more serious problems.
One thing I know about leaks, they only get worse if not taken care of.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try a dab of RTV on it until I get the time to break it down.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 03:21 PM

If I ride my bike 7 blocks to work and stop I get 2 or 3 table spoons of leakage from the top end of the radiator. there is no leaking when sitting cold and no leaking when at running temp. I was planning on leaving it alone. My dealer said some minor leakage is common until system is heated. I have not been warming the bike before I start to ride. I just take it easy. Do I have a problem?

SETH
2005 vn750
stock bike
stock back rest extension
stock windshield (sport sized)
Mustang seat
Dunlop 404s at 7600Mi
Spline lube by dealer
14,200 mile as of March 18, 2009
New Metzler ME 880s 3/18/09
Spline lube again
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 03:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
If I ride my bike 7 blocks to work and stop I get 2 or 3 table spoons of leakage from the top end of the radiator. there is no leaking when sitting cold and no leaking when at running temp. I was planning on leaving it alone. My dealer said some minor leakage is common until system is heated. I have not been warming the bike before I start to ride. I just take it easy. Do I have a problem?
i belive you do. the bike regardless of temperature not supposed to leak one drop. what common is for a dealer to be an ass...ole though, and it looks like yours is a typical one.
EDIT: sorry if i'm to harsh.

to the original poster:
sorry to tell you this, but from my experience with cars the "stop leak" is not working only making it worse. you cant know for sure that the coolant is not getting inside crank shaft, the internal leak might be very small one. there is only one way to fix it IMO, everything else is a bandaid on growing wound. might get you by for some time but you need to take care of it eventually...

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL

Last edited by tankist; 04-26-2007 at 03:47 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonewah View Post
I have a leak in the cylinder base gasket on the front cylinder. It's a very small leak, and it only opens up when the bike is sitting cold. When running, the leak seals. It's not even enough to drip. It's less than a thimble full I would guess. I'm getting no smoke or sign of coolant in the oil.

I was wondering if anyone has used a stop leak product to seal a similar leak. It looks to be seeping from a very small area. I know the best thing to do is go ahead and replace the 5$ gasket, but I just don't wanna have to take everything apart, as I rely on the bike as my daily driver.

Thanks,
T
This is the same issue I had/have and have taken the engine out and replaced it. It will cost you about $150 in gaskets and a couple of weekends. The Clymers is pretty good although the pics are poor. I am hoping to know by Monday if my repair work was successful.

Jeff
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 PM

Thanks to the Tankist,
My leak seems to be fixed. I got bold and took off the fork cover and low and behold there are hoses under there. I found the clamps to be loose so I took may screwdriver to them. I had to loosen the radiator and pull it out a little to reach one clamp but I think this will take care of it.

SETH
2005 vn750
stock bike
stock back rest extension
stock windshield (sport sized)
Mustang seat
Dunlop 404s at 7600Mi
Spline lube by dealer
14,200 mile as of March 18, 2009
New Metzler ME 880s 3/18/09
Spline lube again
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 01:07 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
I hope you never go to that dealer again for anything. If they don't understand that the coolant system is a sealed, pressurized system, they don't deserve to be in business.

I hope tightening the hoses as you said below solves the problem. If not, get us some more details and we'll think a little further.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement