Replacing head gasket - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Replacing head gasket

so.... has anyone ever done this job? This will be my first time doing it with a vulcan. I have done it on my old dirtbikes and several cars. but first cruiser. Will there be any issues with the air box being in the way? or do i need to plan on doing an ear shave as well? It is the front cylinder. I got back from a cruise, had a big loss of power, starting to smoke white. not necessarily a "sweet" radiator type smell.... but. i started it up the next day and didnt smoke much.... I think it is only leaking when the engine is hot right now. I am also replacing the front exhaust manifold (broken stud and need to replace gaskets). Any tips and hints for my weeks adventure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 06:06 PM

well it would be much easier to do an ear shave as well.. getting rid of the big black air box will make your job much easier.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
I am also replacing the front exhaust manifold (broken stud and need to replace gaskets). Any tips and hints for my weeks adventure?
Spray some PB Blaster on that broken stud now, and repeat a couple of times a day until you are ready to remove it.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

surprisingly.... some liquid wrench took the bolts right off... atleast off of the exhaust pipe. havent started with the exhaust manifold. and ya.... that air box wasnt gonna come out so i just tore it apart to get it out. guess I need to start figuring out a way to do an ear shave. lol I havent dug into the engine yet, but doesnt look too bad. do you know if the cylinder will pull up under the top bar of the frame? im hoping I can just lift it up enough to get the old gasket out and the new one in.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

do you know if it is possible to get the front head off without removing the engine? I need to get a service manual...... I think it is, but still uneasy about it. Hopefully my gaskets get here soon so I can tear into the motor.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Calif Rider

If you will go to the top of the page and under search click on it. Then type in download manuel. About 5 threads down you can download the manuel, beware large
file. Once downloaded copy to CD and you will have it anytime you need. You will be able to print any pages that you need to work on something on the bike.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Here is Kanucks new manual thread.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ownload+manual
By all accounts it is easier to use than the TOC download we have been using for years.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopp View Post
do you know if it is possible to get the front head off without removing the engine? I need to get a service manual...... I think it is, but still uneasy about it. Hopefully my gaskets get here soon so I can tear into the motor.
Are you sure it's the head gasket? Do you see a/f contamination in your oil and vice versa? Have you compression tested it?

You may want to sniff around ebay for a new head as it is possible that the stud is not going to come out.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

the exhaust manifold detaches from the cylinder head. so i have a new exhaust manifold coming, but I already got the exhaust off w/o the bolt breaking.... so not sure if I want to take the manifold off or not. it does apear to be leaking and since I have a new gasket coming I might just go ahead and do it. I work at a place with a machine shop so I think once I get the head off I am gonna bring it in and clean up all the threads and what not. and as for the contaminated oil.... my fresh oil change is now a nice brown. which makes it pretty apparent that water is in there. when I drained the coolant there didnt seem to be any oil in there.... so the leak could have possibly only been in one direction. And thanks for the manual guys. I am still learning what all is on the website.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

has anyone ever delt with this before? How might I deal with the timing chain? I guess just loosen the cams and mark the timing and orientation before tearing it apart? Once I pull the cylinder head off will I be able to get to the intermediate timing gear? alot of this I am guessing I will figure out when I get there.... I NEED to also replace a lot of the gaskets on the left side of the motor? can you do this without removing the motor? looks tight.... anyways, any help is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement