Engine problems on 1985 VN700A1 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Engine problems on 1985 VN700A1

I just bought an 85 VN700A1 when I got it home (trailered) I started it and let it warm up, then put it in the garage. When parked, a watery/oily substance began leaking badly from the lower left portion of the radiator. See more about this in my prior post in the "newbie check in thread"
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17625

I began disassembling some things today. Took off the gas tank, air cleaner, and such. Found the following:

Oily/gas type substance in air cleaner (can also be seen running down behind cleaner on platform). Also same substance in the rubber boot behind the air cleaner.

spark plugs, blackened with oily/watery substance on ends

detached de-celerator cable (like that when I got it, was wedged between the engine V

coolant is mainly clear, inside of bottle has oily/grimy substance inside on walls of bottle

the left side with fuel lines undone. the one line with a screw in it was already like that

coolant leak from last night on floor, the leaking substance on my finger appears to be mainly oil but it is extremely thin for oil still watery as evidenced by the dried areas on the cardboard

I haven't drained the coolant yet, I will do that tomorrow. I checked the oil (there is no dipstick like on my honda nighthawk) and it appears completely dry to the naked eye. I'll look up more in the repair manual tonight on how to do that.

What am I looking at here? Blown head gaskets? cracked head(s)? blown bottom end? How easy are these engines to rebuild and work on? When running the bike did not blow smoke or anything. It had a fuel leak between the V and idle varied but those were the only problems I picked up on until the big leak occurred putting it in the garage last night.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm in way over my head in this. I checked the service manual and I don't even have most the tools to do this. I just have basic tools (sockets, screwdrivers, wrenches). I'm thinking I need to take this to a motorcycle repair shop and have them work on it. How much would I save doing it myself buying all the parts and tools vs taking it to a shop?

I did check on ebay and there is a 750 engine available but the guy never had it running because the CDI in it was bad.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 PM

You will save a lot if you do it yourself, but you gotta have the right tools and skill. This forum can help you out a lot, unfortunately, I dunno where to begin on this one... someone else might come along and give you better advice.

For now, the only thing I can think of, is finding out what that liquid is. Is it oil in the water? Water in the oil? Something completely different? Gotta find out what it is and why it's there.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 PM

I would drain and refresh both the coolant and the oil. There is a sightglass on the left side for the oil, put it on the center stand.

As far as that substance goes, it could be gas dripping from fuel lines. Make sure that the petcock switch is in the normal or res posistion. If you put it in prime, gas will run without vaccum to it (maw kawai uses vaccum to open it and let fuel flow).

check the bike over carefully and dry up any wet spots on and around the engine and cooling system,and put down fresh cardboard. May not be as bad as you think.

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

I'll try that this weekend. There are issues with the fuel lines as previously mentioned. I'm pretty sure they're routed incorrectly.

Based on the coolant bottle, the leak underneath, and having no oil in the crankcase, leads me to believe it's oil getting into the coolant.

I talked to a couple shops today and both seemed it sounds like a blown head gasket with possible damage to the head. One shop refused to work on it (said they only do that work in the "off season"), the other said I could bring it in next week.

I've checked the service manual, I do not have a lot of the tools needed. Plus I've never torn an engine apart.

My thinking behind getting a shop to do it is since there is oil/coolant problem, plus the carbs are missing pieces, the fuel lines are wacked, and the fan was already on the fritz before I got it, I can just take it in and have all this done all at once. Fix it once and know it's right, and not be bothered with it. My son will be riding a lot with me, and the guys I ride with have several long rides planned this summer so peace of mind is at work here also. I can then do the R/R relocation, tires, pipes, spline lube, and dash/lighting replacement.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
I'll try that this weekend. There are issues with the fuel lines as previously mentioned. I'm pretty sure they're routed incorrectly.

Based on the coolant bottle, the leak underneath, and having no oil in the crankcase, leads me to believe it's oil getting into the coolant.

I talked to a couple shops today and both seemed it sounds like a blown head gasket with possible damage to the head. One shop refused to work on it (said they only do that work in the "off season"), the other said I could bring it in next week.

I've checked the service manual, I do not have a lot of the tools needed. Plus I've never torn an engine apart.

My thinking behind getting a shop to do it is since there is oil/coolant problem, plus the carbs are missing pieces, the fuel lines are wacked, and the fan was already on the fritz before I got it, I can just take it in and have all this done all at once. Fix it once and know it's right, and not be bothered with it. My son will be riding a lot with me, and the guys I ride with have several long rides planned this summer so peace of mind is at work here also. I can then do the R/R relocation, tires, pipes, spline lube, and dash/lighting replacement.
back up a bit here.. lets take one thing at a time...do you have the downloadable manule? or a a Cylmers manule?...take the tank off her.. make sure all of the hoses are where they need to be.. drain the oil fresh oil and a new filter... drain the coolant and put in fresh.. make sure all the hoses are tight and you have no leaks.. change out those ugly plugs.. put you some Seafoam in the tank and then run it for a bit.. then we can see whats what.. there is to much jacked up right now to see what is wrong bro!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 PM

X2 Clock

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 PM

are you missing the left side carb boot to the air box?.. looks like you don't have filters on the ear you have open in your first pic... the carb hoses are fairly easy to route... you have two hoses that got to the petcock for fuel.. one hose on the left (as your sitting on the bike) goes from the lower nipple to the petcock/carb vent.. the one on the right carb vent nipple goes to the air switch above the rear head.. funky looking tank thing made of metal...two lines from between the carbs should go to a T connector and one long hose from that T should be routed to the right ear....clear as mud right?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

I'll do the oil/coolant change and check all the fuel lines tomorrow.

When I got it, there was a fuel leak under the tank with the fuel landing between the V of the engine and pooling there.

I am missing the right rubber boot from the air cleaner/filter assembly. I'd already taken the left side off. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something from the tops of the carbs as well as it doesn't look like any of the pics of other vn700/750's I've seen.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
I'll do the oil/coolant change and check all the fuel lines tomorrow.

When I got it, there was a fuel leak under the tank with the fuel landing between the V of the engine and pooling there.

I am missing the right rubber boot from the air cleaner/filter assembly. I'd already taken the left side off. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something from the tops of the carbs as well as it doesn't look like any of the pics of other vn700/750's I've seen.
well since your missing a few things with the air cleaning system...might be a good time to do an ear shave!...or are you wanting to do a full restoration?...I am thinking your gonna need to pull your carbs and then we can find out what the state of it is...your at the right place for this stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement