Engine missing and popping after warming up - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

Engine missing and popping after warming up

So I let my bike sit for a few days without riding it, maybe a week, went out and got on it and rode it to work this morning (4 miles). It ran great all the way until I got here. When I pulled into the garage, it started missing, and the idle went up on it. It also started backfiring. I had to get in to work, so thought maybe it was something in the gas/carbs and figured I would put some seafoam in again next gasup.

Today at lunch, took the bike out, and same exact situation - ran fine at first, then started missing, idling fast, popping more. Again, I was thinking maybe junk in the gas/carbs...? I did put some seafoam in and filled the tank at lunch. So far, hasn't helped. But I know if something is really blocked in there, it might take a while (and some revs) to get it out.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Any ideas on what it might be other than fuel? The bike has run beautifully up til today, so I'm not sure what's up.

Thanks all

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Calif Rider

Have you drained the carbs lately? Try draining carbs, then fill them up with sea foam and let it set for a day. Then drain the sea foam,reconnect the gas lines, fill carbs with gas with vacuum and see how that works. How are the air filters, have you looked at them lately?

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

I haven't drained the carbs. I bought the bike back in January, and it has been running awesome since. Interesting you mentioned the air filters though, as that was something I was thinking about too. I am going to see if I can't get over to pick some up tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip. I am hoping to not have to do too much other stuff for awhile, as I live in a condo, and don't really have a garage space to work in - and they won't allow us to work on our rides in the parking lot. Nice, eh? I'll try the air filters, as well as a good blow out, and post an update after.

I had this happen another time shortly after I bought it, and it turned out to be crap in the carbs - it was smoking, missing, etc. Put some seafoam in it and gave it a good ride out - cleared it right up. Hopefully I can do the same this time

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

Cleaned the "cobs" out

Well, every now and then I find that one of the things my dad used to say that sounded a little hokey at the time may have actually contained more wisdom than I would have thought.

When I was a kid, and we were starting and running something (motorcycle, car, boat, etc) that hadn't been run in a little (or long) while, and it was running poorly - missing and such, my dad would say that we needed to "blow the cobs out of it". Which basically meant letting it warm up a bit and then running it. Like, RUNNING it. Not to the point of being abusive or idiotic, but giving it a good run.

Last night, I did just that with my bike. I had a hot date on the other side of town, so I got out on the freeway and let her rip a little bit. I threw a nice little burst of acceleration getting onto the freeway in, and then some top end running too.

Wouldn't you know - after I exited the freeway 25 miles later, she was running like a dream and did all night after that. I'm thinking there was some gunk in the carbs and I finally blew it out. I guess some old country 'wisdom' mixed with a little bit of Seafoam can really do the trick sometimes...

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Kev View Post
Well, every now and then I find that one of the things my dad used to say that sounded a little hokey at the time may have actually contained more wisdom than I would have thought.

When I was a kid, and we were starting and running something (motorcycle, car, boat, etc) that hadn't been run in a little (or long) while, and it was running poorly - missing and such, my dad would say that we needed to "blow the cobs out of it". Which basically meant letting it warm up a bit and then running it. Like, RUNNING it. Not to the point of being abusive or idiotic, but giving it a good run.

Last night, I did just that with my bike. I had a hot date on the other side of town, so I got out on the freeway and let her rip a little bit. I threw a nice little burst of acceleration getting onto the freeway in, and then some top end running too.

Wouldn't you know - after I exited the freeway 25 miles later, she was running like a dream and did all night after that. I'm thinking there was some gunk in the carbs and I finally blew it out. I guess some old country 'wisdom' mixed with a little bit of Seafoam can really do the trick sometimes...

AZ Kev
Great to hear! This is what I did to my old 96 Vulcan 500 that I used to have. I called her old because the previous owners didn't take care of her at all! Nonetheless she was a good first bike for me! Sold her though But have money down on a 04 750 vulcan now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement