Oil change = 3qts & coolant change = 1.5qts /What's Wrong?! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
2 Vulcans

Oil change = 3qts & coolant change = 1.5qts /What's Wrong?!

My VN750 overheated just as I was pulling into the garage after riding home on the first really nice (over 78 degrees) day since I purchased it. '06 with 2k miles. Checked coolant tank and found it was very low. After cooling off it was still low. Topped it off with distilled water.

Rode again next day in similar temps and now was paying close attention to gauge. Needle was running close to middle of the gauge all the way home and would creep up when bike was stopped.

Purchased cheapo antifreeze tester and checked it after bike cooled. Only floated 1 ball out of 5. Time to change coolant!! Went to Wallyword and found out Dexron and SuperTech both have exact same ingredients, so went with SuperTech.

Drained coolant from drain at bottom of engine, bolts under spark plugs on each cylinder and radiator. About 1.5qts total came out, not including the dribble from the cylinder bolts. No oil in used cooant. Refilled radiator & tank with 50/50 mix and burped using bleed valve and also got a some bubbles to clear while revving the engine a little. Tester now floats 4 balls.

Let engine cool and topped off tank (1/4 cup low) and radiator (also 1/4 cup low). Now gauge will read between 1/3 and 3/8 of the way. Seems hot compared to my wife's which runs a little above the 1st hashmark to the right of stone cold. I can smell coolant around fuel tank area and figure next step is to remove fuel tank and check all clamps for tightness and hoses for cracks/leaks. Coolant tank is a little low after each ride. Pressure cap may need to be replaced too.

Anything I'm missing on the cooling problem? By the way, radiator fan works.

Decided to change oil too.

Went with Rotella 5w-40 synthetic and SuperTech filter. Totally warmed up engine released exactly 3 liters of of old oil that didn't look totally black yet. Used side drain and let it go for at least an hour while I did other stuff. No water in oil. Replaced drain and dropped off old filter which got me about another cup of oil in the drain pan.

Based on the output (3 L) I thought maybe it was running low even though the sight glass (on center stand) said it was just one RCH below full. Poured in 3 L of new oil. Sight glass indicates full. Started up engine and watched oil disappear from sight glass. Shut down after less than 60 seconds. Sight glass now shows just below full so I added a couple ounces of oil. Sight now glass now shows full with a little bubble at the top or sometimes no bubble. Went for 15 minute ride. Same story with oil level in sight glass afterwards.

Where's my extra liter of oil supposed to go??

On a side note there appears to have been some sort of leakage onto the rear wheel/tire from the gap between the wheel and shaft housing. Not much and it may have been something I drove through, but not sure about that since we've had no rain here. Not riding again until I crack open that assembly and check gear oil level.

What else should I be on the lookout for with such a low mileage bike that probably wasn't ridden much, if at all, in the last few years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You can get a little more oil out of the engine when changing if you turn it over a couple of times. Remember the filter holds some too.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 PM

Unless you tear down the engine, it would be hard to get all the oil to drain from areas or pockets inside. Don't lose any sleep over the extra oil you can't put in there! You did the right thing when you did the oil change.

Sounds like you might need to flush your cooling system possibly. Might be some gunk in there from the bike sitting for so long between riders. Who knows, the PO might have used hard water and some of your radiator ports are clogged??

Have you done a spline lube yet? It should be your next wrenching job. Don't put it off. You'll get a good look at what might be leaking around the drive shaft area...

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Liters......lol.

Change your filter when you change the oil. You should be able to put in about 4 quarts. (We don use no steeking liters here...)

The 4 liter mark on the engine case is a bit optimistic. With the bike on the centerstand, level ground, the oil warm, enigine off for at least 15 miinutes...the oil level should be right at the very top of the sight glass. Better to be a bit over that than under that.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
2 Vulcans

No stinkin liters

I don't usually use liters either; it just so happened that the partial jug of oil I started out with had exactly 3 liters left in it. I'm not gonna worry about the rest of the partial "quart" I did not get to pour in now.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
2 Vulcans

system flush 'n spline lube

Fergy,

I have read a couple of post about flushing and some are for it and some against it when you include a flushing additive. Have you done it using prestone flush or something similar?

Spline lube is on my radar too. I have to say I've already done more work on this bike than my previous Yamaha, but I think the sitting around not being ridden is the main source of problems with so few miles on the clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
Unless you tear down the engine, it would be hard to get all the oil to drain from areas or pockets inside. Don't lose any sleep over the extra oil you can't put in there! You did the right thing when you did the oil change.

Sounds like you might need to flush your cooling system possibly. Might be some gunk in there from the bike sitting for so long between riders. Who knows, the PO might have used hard water and some of your radiator ports are clogged??

Have you done a spline lube yet? It should be your next wrenching job. Don't put it off. You'll get a good look at what might be leaking around the drive shaft area...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Banned

The oil will go into the engine when it's running and not show on the sight glass. Mine does the same exact thing. After it's shut off is when it drains back into the bottom of the engine to where you can see it in the sight glass.
My engine took 4 liters of oil to fill it, and there is a small bubble at the top. I pulled the bottom drain plug, and let it set overnight draining into a pan, then filled it. I have the small stock size oil filter on mine.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
2 Vulcans

Update on cooling

Was smellin antifreeze after riding in last post. Used 6mm to tighten all hose clamps. NO vis sign of leakage around any clamp area. Getting to the ones under the tank was interesting; managed to do it w/o removing fuel lines, it was a bit of a balancing act tho!

Suspicious of cap; after every ride it is moist on the underside. Went to OReilleys auto parts and had the guy look me up a cap; perfect match (what are the odds of that happening?!)!

Today's ride. Temp much more stable on ride home-fan never kicked in!!

Check for signs of leakage and odor again. almost nothin and it'll probably take a while for all of it to disipate completely. either way need to keep one eye on temp guage at all x's for a while.

Still wondering about the oil amount tho. Somebody mentioned something about "burping" done with oil change. WTF is that?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 12:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistereman1 View Post
Was smellin antifreeze after riding in last post. Used 6mm to tighten all hose clamps. NO vis sign of leakage around any clamp area. Getting to the ones under the tank was interesting; managed to do it w/o removing fuel lines, it was a bit of a balancing act tho!

Suspicious of cap; after every ride it is moist on the underside. Went to OReilleys auto parts and had the guy look me up a cap; perfect match (what are the odds of that happening?!)!

Today's ride. Temp much more stable on ride home-fan never kicked in!!

Check for signs of leakage and odor again. almost nothin and it'll probably take a while for all of it to disipate completely. either way need to keep one eye on temp guage at all x's for a while.

Still wondering about the oil amount tho. Somebody mentioned something about "burping" done with oil change. WTF is that?
if your oil light doesn't do out almost immediately upon startup,you twist the oil filter off just enough to let the airlock out and quickly tighten it bac up when it spits up oil ,like burping a baby ,but unlike burping a baby, a clean shirt is not required for the bike to spit up on.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
2 Vulcans

Oil light goes out as soon as engine fires so I guess my baby doesn't need burping. Thanks for the info; I'll file it away for now and hopefully if I see the red light in the future, it'll jog my memory enough to recall the "burp".

Now it's on to spline lube next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement