Lifter tick/alternator whine - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Lifter tick/alternator whine

Hey guys, long time lurker here but thanks for all the help so far!

My bike at the end of last season started to develop what sounds like fairly loud lifter tick along with alternator whine coming from what I can tell is the right/front side of the motor. I changed the oil/filter at the start of this season and didn't find any debris or anything else concerning in the oil screen and haven't felt any unusual vibration.

The alternator whine is most noticeably present while driving, and goes away as I come to a stop and the rpms come down, though it isn't linked solely to moving. This leads me to suspect it is not in the drivetrain/axles.

The lifter tick also is noticeable as I'm coming to a stop/downshifting but usually goes away shortly after stopping as the rpms come down.

I haven't noticed any change in either noise after I changed the oil and started riding this season, if anything it is getting worse slightly. It doesn't sound like rod knock and I haven't noticed any metal in the oil, so I'm hoping it's not that.

I haven't had a chance to test the R/R and stator yet, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks!

-Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Do the grambo trick on the front cylinder acct. Go to the vulcan verses for specific instructions.
james

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Do the grambo trick on the front cylinder acct. Go to the vulcan verses for specific instructions.
james
Thanks, yeah I was just reading up about the ACCT's sticking and causing things to clack around. I will give that a shot after work and see if that helps.

-Steve

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Did the grambo trick on the front cylinder, seemed to keep the tick away on the ride home. The whine is very noticeable btw. With a helmet, ear plugs, drilled baffles and degoat I can clearly hear it when it starts whining under 3k rpm, then the exhaust just drowns it out. It seems to change tone occasionally but not in relation to rpm/gear/road speed, and on my drive home would only happen while I was moving. Just before I would come to a stop, it would stop also.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
My bike at the end of last season started to develop what sounds like fairly loud lifter tick along with alternator whine coming from what I can tell is the right/front side of the motor. I changed the oil/filter at the start of this season and didn't find any debris or anything else concerning in the oil screen and haven't felt any unusual vibration.

The alternator whine is most noticeably present while driving, and goes away as I come to a stop and the rpms come down, though it isn't linked solely to moving. This leads me to suspect it is not in the drivetrain/axles.
I suppose the whine could appear to come from the opposite (right) side of the engine, but the stator/alternator is on the left side.
I`m not sure what to make of the whine, but don`t quite yet get locked in to thinking it HAS to be the alternator.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

How old is your bike, and how many miles?

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2011, 05:45 AM
Banned

Mine has a whine in it, but it's coming from the rear of the bike. I thought it was coming from the front, but as I listened, it was coming from the final drive, especially when I let off the throttle.
As for the whine coming from the right side, the only thing that I can think of would be either the water pump, or oil pump, or possibly the clutch.
Next time you hear it, pull in the clutch, and see if it goes away, or quiets down.
Just a thought.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I'm definitely not assuming it's something electrical, that's just what it sounds like if you've ever heard a fried alternator.

The bike is an '86 and the frame/etc has about 14k miles on it. The motor was swapped by the previous owner so I'm not exactly sure how many miles are on it, he got it used off ebay I think. If I remember what he said it wasn't substantially more or less than the current mileage on the bike, he's a good friend of mine so I'm not worried that it has a pile of miles or anything.

As for the clutch: The whine will sometimes come and go while I'm riding down the street at random. Sometimes I will come up to a stop and it won't be making the noise, and while I'm sitting at the light it will start up again. Gear/throttle/clutch don't seem to affect it. I haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot anything just yet, I'm hoping to at least do the continuity check on the stator this afternoon/tonight and will report back my results.

I relubed the shaft splines about a year ago with the honda moly60 paste (and plenty of it at that). I changed the rear diff fluid at the same time, along with redoing the fork seals completely (were leaking). I also did a custom homemade ear shave out of some aluminum plates I cut to fit and completely removed all the lines for them going to the airbox and plugged that hole on the bottom. I cleaned the carbs and also installed iridium spark plugs and a MF battery. I also have recently balanced the carbs and adjusted the idle mix screws out about 2.5 turns to richen it up a little. The kickstand switch was acting up and causing the bike to want to shut off/cut out while riding so I cleaned that out as well.

As you can see I've already done a ton of maintenance to this bike from when I got it. I'm hoping I don't have to do a stator job! =D

-Steve
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
I also did a custom homemade ear shave out of some aluminum plates I cut to fit and completely removed all the lines for them going to the airbox and plugged that hole on the bottom.

Without pictures it never happened. lol

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Oops, sorry I meant to say coastered with some homemade aluminum blockoffs, not an earshave! My bad, I was typing fast when I posted that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement