Cylinder Timing - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Cylinder Timing

I just replaced the piston rings and got a valve job on both cylinders. I'm putting it back together with the Haynes manual. To set the timing and camshaft positioning, it states to set the piston of the cylinder you are working on to TDC. It's a 4 stroke with 2 cylinders, so there's two times each cylinder will be TDC.

I might be overthinking this, but should I try to offset the compression strokes, or does it matter? The book doesn't state one way or the other, so I'm thinking it may not make a difference...

If I do it according to Haynes, each cylinder is independent of each other except for the crank, and it doesn't tell me if the front or rear cylinder should fire first. It's making my head hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

First set the timing of the front cylinder. At this point you don't have to worry on which stroke the cylinder is, just make the timing marks align correctly.

After you have the front cylinder timing correct, time the rear cylinder. Starting from the position where the front cylinder timing marks are aligned, turn the crankshaft in the direction it turns when the engine is running (CW when looked from the right side of the engine) until the rear cylinder crankshaft sprocket mark aligns with the crankcase mark. This should be 305 degrees from the starting position. Thereafter do the rest in the similar way as for the front cylinder.

I have never done this myself, just my understanding of the instructions in the service manual, so maybe someone who has done it will confirm if my advice is correct or not.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
TDC refers to when the piston is beginning the power stroke, all valves need to be closed... do this for the first cylinder, then fallow Papa's advice on the second.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Cylinder F would be 2/3 complete with the exhaust stroke when cylinder R fires? That makes more sense than the way I had it timed. The compression strokes would have been about 1/3 piston travel apart. Since the timing marks line up every cycle of the piston, I'm guessing the piston fires every cycle? On the compression and exhaust?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Pappa. Did exactly what you said, believe it will work out good. It was dead on 305 degrees. Found a worn chain guide while putting it back together, waiting on parts again...
Let you know how it turns out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Primed the carbs by injecting fuel into the fuel lines from the tank. Started right up! Coolant line at top of rear cylinder was leaking around the O Ring. Front cylinder was smoking out of the exhaust. Don't know if running it longer will burn that out, but the burning WD40 and coolant smell was killing me. Shut it down to change the O ring.:

Thanks to OlHossCanada and Pappa. Hopefully I'll be able to ride this weekend!

1998 VN750
37,100 miles
Spline Lubed
2 Previous Owners
Rebuilt Top End at 33K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement