Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
One Less Car

Draining the radiator?

I know this sounds easy, but my manual says to take the bike to the dealer to change the radiator fluid! Come on, it can't be that difficult! Anyone have any advice?

Thanks, my fan switch is faulty and I was wondering if there's another way besides just letting it run out the switch hole..

PF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
There's a drain plug in the radiator and a drain screw in each cylinder head. Couldn't be much easier.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
One Less Car

Thanks,
I'll go out and take a look. Hopefully the drains in the cylinder heads won't be mistaken for anything else!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 12:47 PM

well ,
when i did mine i read in verses that there were 2 drain plugs for the cly. heads. so i misunderstood and thought there were 2 plugs for each head. WRONG!!!! so i go looking for 2 bolts and see 2 bolt heads on the rear head and i think those are them. now mind you i just removed the drain plug on the bottom of the block and knew what it looked like and the 2 i am now looking at are so much different. but i saw two of something the same and thought (wrongly) that those were the plugs even though they were much larger than the bottom plug. so i start to loosen one of the bolts and that little voice in my head (the one i usually blow off) says to me "STOP!!!!!!!!!!", which i did without hesitation and re-tightened the bolt with a sense of urgency. good thing i did because i went to my clymers book to find out i was removing the upper cam arm guide bolt. that would have sucked major league. so to make a long story short, make sure they are drain plugs your removing (they are small) and on the bottom half of the cly. heads ( ONE for each head, not two, duh).
well the bike and i survived me draining the cooling system and the cam arm is still where its suppose to be & the engine temp is in the normal range.
do have to admit, i was holding my breath and starting to pucker when i 1st started the engine after that episode, thinking my cam arm guide might be floating around in the block.
so if i could do it and all is well, then anyone can do it. but i do sense my bike gets a little nervous when i am walking towards it with a tool in my hand and after that maintenance adventure, so do i. LOL.

ride safe, john
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
One Less Car

Ya know John, you think like me. I've made too many of those kinds of mistakes, that's why I checked with you guys on here who might have made them before me.
One more dumb question. The bolts are under the bike?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 PM

drain bolts

hey Zaak,

i take it you mean the "real" drain plugs.

there are 3 plugs total to start with. one drain plug is on the bottom of the block, underneath, between the frame, in the area by the foot brake, (the drain plugs are 10mm). the cylinder head plugs are on the bottom half of the cylinder heads underneath the fin area of each cyl. head. the front culinder plug is on the riders right side and the rear cylinder plug is on the riders left. don't over tighten these bolts. torque them to specs.

it is easy to do. good luck with it, john
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
One Less Car

Return of the Glad er Radiator

Thanks John,
Can't be more specific than that. As soon as my fan switch comes I'll start drainin.

zaak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement