Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

"Coastering" - any problems passing emissions?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  jthill524 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have been getting more and more into my bike (imagine that! Lol) and trying to make it run the best possible. I have done my research on ways to get rid of the backfiring on deceleration - not because it really bugs me, more because I know that it is not the optimal way for a motor to run. It sounds like coastering is a great option, but I have a major question :

I am in Phoenix, AZ, where we have some pretty strict emissions codes, and I am wondering if I do it, is there any chance it would cause me to fail emissions - either because the particulates in the exhaust are too high, or because emissions equipment has been modified?

I am thinking someone from Cali would probably know, as they have strict emissions regs there too. But if anyone has any info or experience with it, I would love to hear about it. Like I said - I don't really mind the backfiring that much. But if I could get rid of it, knowing that I would not cause any problems with emissions testing, I just might do it.

As always, thanks all :smiley_th

AZ Kev

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks slim - that answers my question perfectly : ) And the really great thing? Marbles are cheap! Lol

AZ Kev

#4 ·
And you get a whole bag of em too. Not only did I marble the bike, I had extras for the few I've lost over the years.

Once again, another mod that sounds a lot more intimidating than it is. Plus, losing the backfire is a huge improvement.

#5 ·
Thanks scooter. It does sound like something even I could do! Lol. So where did you get the marbles? WalMart? Or maybe even a dollar store?

AZ Kev

#7 ·
Another way to help with the backfiring is to adjust your mixture screws. Most are set at 2.5 turns, and will help a lot w/o having to coaster it, especially in areas where emissions are a must.
Marbling is a good way as well, but it's a matter of preference I suppose but it is an easier way to do it.

#8 ·
AZ Kev: I'm in CA and was wondering about the emissions thing too....however, motorcycles aren't required to pass emissions tests (as far as I know), so I'm wondering what the issue is? Do they test emissions anytime you take it into a shop or something?

#9 ·
My understanding from reading other posts is that you can fail an inspection if the emissions equipment has been altered, whether they check emissions or not. That is the advantage of marbling the hose. Just pop it out before the inspection, and back in afterwards. If the inspector doesn`t look for a marble, don`t worry about taking it out next year.

#10 ·
If your worried about them seeing tampered emissions.....then yes Marbles or Stainless Steel balls....or even steel balls(but they my rust) will do the trick. The emissions system on the vn750 is a pure joke anyways. The canadian bikes all came from the factory with block off plates(coasters)in place since there Gov't already knew it was a joke of a useless system. +1 on turning out the Air/Fuel mixture screw.....I have V&H Cruzer Exhaust and am coastered......and I had to turn my A/F screws 3 1/2 turns out from seated to get the popping/backfiring to stop.........but I mean.....ALL popping is now GONE.....even if I downshift at a speed too high for the gear and the RPM's shoot WAY up real fast......I STILL can not get it to pop! The coasters did help...but did not fix the problem completely.....turning the screws out did fix the problem. If you can eliminate the complete emissions system.....DO IT! ...Less problems to be had and it will be much easier to work on the bike.:smiley_th

#11 ·
Love the input guys...so my question now is...WHO is checking the emissions? OlHossCanada: you refer to failing inspection...but WHO is checking this? We don't have to do Smog checks or Emissions checks in CA for bikes.
Can a mechanic bust me? Or the dealer? As far as I know, there are no testing requirements for motorcycle emissions, and if they do pass it, it will be for new bikes and not my old '93

#12 ·
Hello all,

I have been getting more and more into my bike (imagine that! Lol) and trying to make it run the best possible. I have done my research on ways to get rid of the backfiring on deceleration - not because it really bugs me, more because I know that it is not the optimal way for a motor to run. It sounds like coastering is a great option, but I have a major question :

I am in Phoenix, AZ, where we have some pretty strict emissions codes, and I am wondering if I do it, is there any chance it would cause me to fail emissions - either because the particulates in the exhaust are too high, or because emissions equipment has been modified?

I am thinking someone from Cali would probably know, as they have strict emissions regs there too. But if anyone has any info or experience with it, I would love to hear about it. Like I said - I don't really mind the backfiring that much. But if I could get rid of it, knowing that I would not cause any problems with emissions testing, I just might do it.

As always, thanks all :smiley_th

AZ Kev
Love the input guys...so my question now is...WHO is checking the emissions? OlHossCanada: you refer to failing inspection...but WHO is checking this? We don't have to do Smog checks or Emissions checks in CA for bikes.Can a mechanic bust me? Or the dealer? As far as I know, there are no testing requirements for motorcycle emissions, and if they do pass it, it will be for new bikes and not my old '93
I don`t know who has to pass emmissions checks. AZ Kev raised the question, so I assume some states test. We have no tests in Alberta. I merely point out that marbling does not change the appearance of the bike, and is easily reversable if needed.

My Canandian bike came from the factory with chrome coasters. Many US owners feel "coastering" has a "cleaner" more elegant look than with all the pollution canisters and hoses.

#13 ·
California Drops Motorcycle Smog Check Proposal
by Paul Crowe - "The Kneeslider" on 6/1/2009

in Motorcycle Laws and Regulations

A few months ago, California State Senator Fran Pavley introduced legislation which would have required smog checks for all motorcycles of model year 2000 or newer, beginning in 2012. The proposal has been amended to authorize police officers to fine bikers who have removed catalytic converters but the smog test provision has been dropped after the senate objected. The senate approved the amended bill which now goes to the state assembly. If it passes there, the governor's signature is all that's needed.

Link: Silicon Valley Mercury News
Related: California Proposes Motorcycle Smog Checks

Exempt:
Still exempt from the State of California Smog Check program are:

Hybrid powered motor vehicles
2 wheel motorcycles
Diesel cars & trucks (1997 & older)
Diesel trucks (over 14,500 GVW)
Motor vehicles w/ 1 or 2 cylinders
2-stroke engines(excluding rotary)
Engines under 819cc
1975 model year vehicles and older
6 model years old (except for initial registration in California or change of ownership)

Diesel Smog Check - Effective 01/01/2010: All Diesel vehicles, cars and trucks 1998 and newer, and weighing under 14,500 GVW will need a diesel smog check. The diesel smog test will not include the emissions test portion of the regular inspection. There will be no tailpipe emissions test. Dynamometer testing will not be part of the diesel smog check inspection. Your vehicle will not be driven on the dynamometer during the diesel smog check. Instead the Diesel smog check will focus on a visual inspection of your vehicle's emissions/smog components, a system check of the On Board Diagnostics (OBD II) system, a visual smoke check for excessive black smoke, and an EVAP functional test. Diesel cars and trucks which fail the diesel smog test will have their vehicles repaired at a diesel repair shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.