"Coastering" - any problems passing emissions? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

"Coastering" - any problems passing emissions?

Hello all,

I have been getting more and more into my bike (imagine that! Lol) and trying to make it run the best possible. I have done my research on ways to get rid of the backfiring on deceleration - not because it really bugs me, more because I know that it is not the optimal way for a motor to run. It sounds like coastering is a great option, but I have a major question :

I am in Phoenix, AZ, where we have some pretty strict emissions codes, and I am wondering if I do it, is there any chance it would cause me to fail emissions - either because the particulates in the exhaust are too high, or because emissions equipment has been modified?

I am thinking someone from Cali would probably know, as they have strict emissions regs there too. But if anyone has any info or experience with it, I would love to hear about it. Like I said - I don't really mind the backfiring that much. But if I could get rid of it, knowing that I would not cause any problems with emissions testing, I just might do it.

As always, thanks all

AZ Kev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
coastering does casue emission problems, that is why people that live in areas where the bike has to mete EPA regulations stick a marble inside the hose to block it off, then just remove the marble when they go get it tested
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

Thanks slim - that answers my question perfectly : ) And the really great thing? Marbles are cheap! Lol

AZ Kev

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 AM

And you get a whole bag of em too. Not only did I marble the bike, I had extras for the few I've lost over the years.

Once again, another mod that sounds a lot more intimidating than it is. Plus, losing the backfire is a huge improvement.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Git-R-Done!

Thanks scooter. It does sound like something even I could do! Lol. So where did you get the marbles? WalMart? Or maybe even a dollar store?

AZ Kev
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
start at the doller store, then head to wally world, target, K Mart.. maybe even Toys 'R' Us
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Banned

Another way to help with the backfiring is to adjust your mixture screws. Most are set at 2.5 turns, and will help a lot w/o having to coaster it, especially in areas where emissions are a must.
Marbling is a good way as well, but it's a matter of preference I suppose but it is an easier way to do it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Kev View Post
Hello all,

I have been getting more and more into my bike (imagine that! Lol) and trying to make it run the best possible. I have done my research on ways to get rid of the backfiring on deceleration - not because it really bugs me, more because I know that it is not the optimal way for a motor to run. It sounds like coastering is a great option, but I have a major question :

I am in Phoenix, AZ, where we have some pretty strict emissions codes, and I am wondering if I do it, is there any chance it would cause me to fail emissions - either because the particulates in the exhaust are too high, or because emissions equipment has been modified?

I am thinking someone from Cali would probably know, as they have strict emissions regs there too. But if anyone has any info or experience with it, I would love to hear about it. Like I said - I don't really mind the backfiring that much. But if I could get rid of it, knowing that I would not cause any problems with emissions testing, I just might do it.

As always, thanks all

AZ Kev
AZ Kev: I'm in CA and was wondering about the emissions thing too....however, motorcycles aren't required to pass emissions tests (as far as I know), so I'm wondering what the issue is? Do they test emissions anytime you take it into a shop or something?

1993 VN750 stock
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicol View Post
AZ Kev: I'm in CA and was wondering about the emissions thing too....however, motorcycles aren't required to pass emissions tests (as far as I know), so I'm wondering what the issue is? Do they test emissions anytime you take it into a shop or something?
My understanding from reading other posts is that you can fail an inspection if the emissions equipment has been altered, whether they check emissions or not. That is the advantage of marbling the hose. Just pop it out before the inspection, and back in afterwards. If the inspector doesn`t look for a marble, don`t worry about taking it out next year.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

If your worried about them seeing tampered emissions.....then yes Marbles or Stainless Steel balls....or even steel balls(but they my rust) will do the trick. The emissions system on the vn750 is a pure joke anyways. The canadian bikes all came from the factory with block off plates(coasters)in place since there Gov't already knew it was a joke of a useless system. +1 on turning out the Air/Fuel mixture screw.....I have V&H Cruzer Exhaust and am coastered......and I had to turn my A/F screws 3 1/2 turns out from seated to get the popping/backfiring to stop.........but I mean.....ALL popping is now GONE.....even if I downshift at a speed too high for the gear and the RPM's shoot WAY up real fast......I STILL can not get it to pop! The coasters did help...but did not fix the problem completely.....turning the screws out did fix the problem. If you can eliminate the complete emissions system.....DO IT! ...Less problems to be had and it will be much easier to work on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement