Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

OEM Oil Filter - wrong size?

Tags
oil filter
4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  OlHossCanada 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I went to change the oil on my bike (1989 VN750) last weekend and noticed that the filter I got at the local dealer (Kawasaki filter) seemed to be smaller in diameter than the one that was already on the bike. I brought the one that I took off the bike in with me, along with the one they had given me, and asked the guys at the part counter if maybe they had given me the wrong one.

They said that the one I brought in - the one that was on it when I bought it - looked way too big, and that it appeared to be from a Mule or something. I asked them if they were positive that the one they had given me was ok to use, and they said it was.

So I went back home, and put on the smaller one. It went on ok, although it seemed like it rubbed up against the 3 bolt heads that are on that side of the engine a little bit.

Has anyone else out there experienced this? Is there a chance that the filter the dealer lists for the bike is not correct? It seems like as an authorized Kaw dealer, they would know which one should work. But it seems strange that it was smaller than the one that was on there.

If anyone has any insight or wisdom they can share about this oil filter situation, I would sure appreciate it. I just don't want to do anything that will harm, or shorten the lifespan of my engine.

Thanks all! :smiley_th

AZ Kev

See less See more
#2 ·
Part numbers or pictures of each would help the most. Without that, it's just pure speculation.

#3 ·
Ecccchhh...! Another "oil" thread.....:)....

Most of the rest of us here have had really good luck with the sizes listed on the following chart:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html#OilFilters

Compare what you've been told to what's on the chart (as of this writing, anyway), and then you can decide for yourself if the local dealer parts counter is clueless....or not.

#4 ·
There are two different lengths of oil filter available for our bike from kawi. either will work. Alot of us have moved to the $3 wally world filter. I've been using it for a while now. No complaints. Part # 7317

#5 ·
Thanks Canuck!

I appreciate the answer. As for listing the part number, all of the identifyinhg iformation that was on the filter that was on the bike when I bought it had worn off - the guy at the dealer and I both tried to find some kind of indentifying number and couldn't.

I apologize if there have been a number of questions on this already. I did a search on the site, and was not able to find any other posts/threads that spoke specifically about the fitting of the oil filter - hence, my question.

I will just stick with the Kawasaki filter they gave me for now. Come next oil change, maybe I will check out the one you mentioned canuck. Thanks for the helpful info :smiley_th

AZ Kev

#6 ·
When I changed the oil filter on my bike, I had a similar experience :confused:. The rim of the filter rubbed on some bolt heads. I used the filter anyway because it didn't leak and have had no problems. I would say that since the oil pressure switch is located after the filter in the oil flow circuit, as long as the oil light never comes on, it would probably be ok. Next time I change it though, I will be looking for the filters referenced in this link. :beerchug:

#7 · (Edited)
Honda, Kawi and Yamaha oil filters all have the same thread size 20 X 1.5 mm.

According to another website that I don`t recall at this time, Suzuki uses a proprietary thread size that only fits filters they sell. There is no high performance filter available to fit that thread. There is an adapter plate available somewhere to convert a Suzi to the same filters the other Big Three Japanese bikes use.

Here is a little more info on the vn750 oil filter and mounting plate.

Oil filter
- '85-'94 = larger size 2.95" diameter
- '95 up = smaller size 2.76" diameter

Oil filter (mating) plate
- '85-'93 = 13169-1921 = 2.95" (75mm)
- '94 = 13169-1921 = 2.95" (75mm)
- '94 = 13270-1170 = 2.76" (70mm)
- '95 up = 13270-1170 = 2.76" (70mm)
I went to change the oil on my bike (1989 VN750) last weekend and noticed that the filter I got at the local dealer (Kawasaki filter) seemed to be smaller in diameter than the one that was already on the bike. I brought the one that I took off the bike in with me, along with the one they had given me, and asked the guys at the part counter if maybe they had given me the wrong one.

They said that the one I brought in - the one that was on it when I bought it - looked way too big, and that it appeared to be from a Mule or something. I asked them if they were positive that the one they had given me was ok to use, and they said it was.
I think most Kawi dealers are looking for ways to cut down on the cost of parts inventory, so only stock the superseding part if possible. Because the smaller filter will fit and work on more/most/all(?) Kawi bikes, even if it is not the most efficient, that is the one they stock. IMHO.

I thought I read sometime ago that the larger diameter filters would still fit on the smaller mounting plates of the `94/`95 and later models.
That doesn`t make sense to me, but can anyone confirm or deny this perception?

#8 ·
The 750 Vulcan uses the same oil filter as a 2005 4cyl Honda Accord... which uses the same filter as a 1998 Nissan Maxima... and many others.

I used to have a Maxima, now have an Accord, and the filter for all three vehicles is the same. I use the Mobil 1 M-110 filter on the bike. It's a high quality filter, and is also black.

One thing I noticed, was that I had to 'burp' the filter. The oil pressure light didn't immedietly go off when the bike was started after the oil change, as it seemed like the pump was vapor locked or something... so with it idling, I carefully backed off the oil filter a tad to allow it to prime, oil went flying a bit, I tightened it down, and all was good. :)

#9 ·
i had a similiar experiance when i bought my 94 previous owner had a emgo filter on the bike and i purchased a fram from advance auto when i compared the two the fram housing was much smaller than the emgo but the o rings were the same diameter seems to work fine so far :smiley_th

#10 ·
Good way to prime the pump is fill the new filter with oil and put it on. But no harm if you don't. There's enough oil in the system to fill the new filter w/o damage. However, I always prime as a matter of proceedure.

#11 ·
What I'm saying, is that the oil pressure light would NOT go off until I burped the system by backing off the filter to release the restriction and allow the pump to prime.

The oil light was on for at least 10 seconds, but as soon as I backed off the filter with it idling, it took right off.

I had a similar occurance with the mustang. It has an electric fuel pump, and I installed a rear sump in the fuel tank for the drag strip. Upon braking with less than 1/4 tank of fuel, the pickup would become un-submerged, and the pump would suck air and become vapor locked, and cease to move fuel. The cure was to pull over and crack open a fuel line ahead of the regulator. This would remove the forward restriction and allow the pump to prime.

It seems the same can occur with the Vulcan's oiling system. It -may- have eventually primed itself, but after more than enough time to fill the filter, I became wary and momentarily cracked the filter loose to allow it to prime.

Of course, this was the first time I changed the oil on the bike, so it may have been a fluke. I'm curious if anybody else has had a similar issue.

Good Luck!

#12 · (Edited)
#13 ·
Ratt -

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that someone else experienced that too - the bolt heads rubbing on the rim of the filter when tightening it down. I noticed when I first put mine on, that it was leaking. So I hand tightened it a bit more, and it seemed to be fine.

I haven't had any problem with the oil light coming on either, as some of the other people mentioned. I may try one of the filters others have suggested next time, as it sounds like they have all had good luck going that way. I guess I am always a little hesitant to go with something that isn't necessarily the "maufacturer recommended" replacement part, but then again, I'm no mechanic either! Lol

Thanks all : )

AZ Kev

#16 ·
I too ran into this problem ,took it back to the dealer and it was the only one listed,mine was a '92.

I did not try to use it after it rubbed on the bolt heads and got one at the automotive supply in town.You are not alone on this issue.

#14 ·
I use the Fram filter from Advance Auto Parts, i believe its a PH6010. not sure though... they have the number in their computer. Its pretty thick in diameter. and black in color, i dont want an orange fram filter, but its not. haha

#15 ·
I use the Fram filter from Advance Auto Parts, i believe its a PH6010. not sure though... they have the number in their computer. Its pretty thick in diameter. and black in color, i dont want an orange fram filter, but its not. haha
Quote from Vulcan Verses:
Are ya aware of the poor quality and potential engine damage the sub- standard Fram oil filter can cause? I've cut open quite a few and found that my once favorite filter is now built for profit, not protection! Have a look
It has become common practice to regard Fram filters as a substandard product for the past several years. I used to cut open my used filters off the car, and noticed substantial differences in the amount of pleated filter paper media in different brands. I don`t recall how Fram filters compared back then, but I recall reading one or two reports of auto engine failures in the past few years, where the owners cut open the Fram filters to to see what was in them and discovered that the filter media had failed. It was torn and not filtering at all.

Use the Fram filter if you must, but I won`t touch them anymore.
Get Wally World`s Supertech #7317 (Made by Champion) for ~$3 and ride with confidence.

#17 ·
Thanks denny - that's good to know. I am wondering if I shouldn't have done the same, as I have worried about how good it is sealing since I put it on there. I have noticed a leak lately, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the starter seal and not the filter.

Now that I have some good info and advice, I think I will switch to one of the ones others have listed on my next oil change. I appreciate the feedback bro!

AZ Kev

#18 ·
New filter fixed oil leak

I thought I would post an update here. I finally got around to changing out my oil filter - got the Mobil 1 M1-110 because when I took it out of the box and looked at it, it seemed as if it would fit on in a way that would stay above the three bolts.

I went home and did an oil change and put the new filter on. Not only did it go on MUCH smoother (no rubbing of the bolts) it also completely resolved a little oil leak that I had. I thought the leak was coming from around the starter, but it turns out that even though I thought I had the stock filter tightened down enough, there must have been some issue with it sealing correctly because of the bolt heads hitting. Since I put the new filter on, I have been leak-free - hallelujah!

Thanks to all for the tips, and I highly recommend the Mobil M1-110 filter.

AZ Kev

#19 ·
i have always thought, the bigger the filter, the better! more media to FILTER the oil.

#20 ·
since when does "champion" make oil filters? is this the same champion as the spark plugs?

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.