starting problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

starting problem

Hi I have a Kawsaki vn 700, yesterday when I was to start the bike, It did not start , when I tried to start it, it sounded like it was bad compression on it. It should be noted that there is a battery of 10 A. When It should really be 14 A.

I took the battery and charged it for 2.5 hours and then started the first attempt. When I tried this morning it is also startet on the first attempt. Could it be something with the engine or is it just that it is a too little and perhaps damaged battery?

I just have to ask since i dont have no clue at the engine and the electrics.

Sincerely Frustrated mc owner.

Kawasaki vn 700 vulcan 1985
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:14 PM

From what you're typing here, it seems like it's the battery. The best possible thing you can do for your motorcycle's starting issues is to get an AGM maintenance free battery for it and Iridium spark plugs.

These options are initially more expensive than the regular acid batteries and cheap spark plugs, but they make a world of difference, and they will last you a LOT longer than the cheaper parts, so in the long run they are actually cheaper.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Oh, by the way, I have an 85 VN700 as well which was neglected by the previous owner and I had such a hard time starting it. After the AGM battery and the Iridium spark plugs, now it starts every time on the first try. Even though I have a tiny bit of carb trouble, it still starts right away.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Seeing that you have a vn700, I will assume you are in the USA. I am 99% sure your battery is the problem. The vn7XX likes a fully charged 14 amp battery, and a 10 amp battery is just not going to cut it.

This is a good battery available online that lance328 recommends for our bikes.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-...item3eee173adb
You can find similar batteries locally too.

Any new spark plug will probably give you good starting and running for ~5K miles. When spark plug elecrodes are plated with precious metals like platinum or iridium, which are very hard, they resist erosion from electrical discharge and can last for 100K miles or more.

Get four (4) NGK DPR7EIX-9 plugs for the Vulcan for best results. They will probably cost from $7-10 each. A little more costly initially, but way less expensive in the long run.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 02-01-2011 at 05:56 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

I am i norway, but i will check if i can get these spark plugs and battery her i live if not i will probably get a similure one to what you saying i should get.
I cross my fingers that it is teh battery and nothing else

Kawasaki vn 700 vulcan 1985
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

10Ah vs. 14Ah is not critical unless your bike is hard to start. Most important is that the battery gives high current without dropping the voltage too much. Then the bike starts easily.

A well known brand is a good choice, but you can try your luck with Biltema if you are on a budget. I have bought two batteries from them - one is still good after several years, but the other lasted only one year. I guess it depends how long the battery has been shelved before you get it, and maybe the quality is also not consistent.

If the spark plugs are expensive in Norway, as they are here, the cheapest place I could find in Europe was Mister Solutions in UK. Even with shipping a lot cheaper. However, expect to get spam from them if you buy from them. I had to tell them 3 times to stop it before they actually did.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:45 AM

My bike runs a little rich, so even without choke it fires right up at just a touch. When my battery goes down, not so much. I recently bought aa AGM battery off ebay for like $40 shipped. I cannot say i am overly impressed. About 8 months ago I bought a regular battery from Wal-mart. Worked great. I however have a tendency to leave my key on and killing my battery. After the 8th time I completely killed the battery and recharged it I got nervous and bought the inexpensive AGM. I can tell NO difference than the Walmart battery. Granted, I did not have to charge it. But just the same I do not feel like it has any more POWER (the battery that is). Now this may be because I bought a cheap one. But my Walmart battery is sitting in my garage still holding a charge. All I can say is read everything you can and make your own decision. There are a lot of misconceptions out there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 02:24 PM

Can't really compare a cheap pre-charged battery off ebay to a good AGM battery.

I actually thought about buying one of those things, but ended up getting one at wal mart for like $70 or so... It was DEFINITELY a big improvement.

Also, one of the biggest improvements with an AGM is how long it will hold a charge. If you compare a good, fresh, fully charged acid battery to a cheap pre-charged (and who knows how much charge it would have by when you compared them) AGM from unknown people on ebay, then of course you won't notice much of a difference!

I can bear testament to how well the AGM holds a charge... my bike was parked for like 2 months and the battery still had more than 80% charge (my trickle charger blinks green when it has more than 80% charge).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement