Uh Ohhhh!!! Might be in trouble - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Uh Ohhhh!!! Might be in trouble

I took the bike for a ride this afternoon for around an hour. About 45 minutes into the ride, I started getting some hesitation again. I believe this was due to one of the fuel hoses having too much bend in it and starving the carb.

My real serious concern is the, now, very loud tapping noise coming from the engine. Sounds like lifters and it's not good. Keeping in mind this bike sat for a few years without running, could it be a lifter out of oil? That is if there are lifters. I haven't received my manual yet so stuff is still hard to figure out. The bike at times sounds like it's missing but I'm not positive about that. I'm about to the point of pulling the carbs and going through them.

The bike was running excellent after doing the coaster mod and the original hesitation was gone, for those who remember, and now I am dealing with this issue. I'm concerned about even running the engine now.

I'm seriously considering draining some oil and replacing it with seafoam for a few minutes run time while warm and see if that might help.

Dang crap!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Do you have the carb vent hose, the hose that has a "T" in line, where the air draft does not vent into it??? The noise could very well be the acct on the front cylinder. Look up the grambo trick in the vulcan verses for some more info.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Do you have the carb vent hose, the hose that has a "T" in line, where the air draft does not vent into it??? The noise could very well be the acct on the front cylinder. Look up the grambo trick in the vulcan verses for some more info.
Vent hose is where it's supposed to be now.

I'll check out the grambo trick. Might be the ticket. Thanks again

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 PM

Do you have fuel line filters?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
Do you have fuel line filters?
Nope, no filters. I honestly can't see where there is any room at all for a filter.

I"ll be trying the Grambo trick tomorrow and see if that works. Might have to put in new springs from what I have read so far. We shall see.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 PM

Yea, that noise is probably the ACCT. If you don't have filters, you may have debris clogging up stuff. Also, do you know if the filter on the petcock is still there? If there's no filter on the petcock and there's no filter on the lines, then any debris will go straight to your carbs. Just a thought on the hesitation problem.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

The grambo trick worked but only for a short time. I suppose I'll be ordering springs and doing a rebuild of the ACCT next. The hesitation "might" be from a pinched fuel line to the rear carb. I rerouted that hose and it is running better.

I am just concerned about riding the bike until I rebuild the ACCT. Doesn't seem like the thing to do to me, riding that is.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

I just ordered a rebuild kit from TOC or whatever in Arizona. I'll hold off on riding more than around the neighborhood until I get that installed. Sometimes I'm thinking that buying a bike that hadn't been licensed for 9 years might have been stupid. But at the same time I relish making something work perfect again. Did that with the 800B I had and then sold it and would like it back.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Based on your original question, yes they have lifters, or as the manual calls them Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.
They areas the name implies, hydraulic adjusters, there is no manual adjustment, however they can become clogged with contaminated oil, and clatter. I don't know of any riders in this forum that have had that problem, but I have with mine. An oil change helped tremendously. I am a Castrol user, but I guess the brand and type is up to you.
Mine had sat for 9 months, no idea how long before that, and apparently it had sat outside a LOT. Lot of dirt in all of the switches, none of the locks worked except for the ignition, and it was full of sand.
And as was previously stated, the ACCT's can rattle too.
Good luck with her, and good riding.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Daily rider

Garage
I tell you, I had that happen to me a few times. I lost power, as well. When I switched to an AGM battery I never had the problem again. Worth a try.

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement