Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
r&s

Fan isn't working

Before when I would shut off my 2003 bike, and it was hot out, the fan would continue to run. I don't hear that now and in Texas, it has been hot! At a stop light today I noticed the temp gage shot up FAST before I got moving again.
Any suggestions on what could be wrong? I might just take it in and have the pro's look at it.

Any suggestion would be helpful,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via MSN to Ernie
Take the black connector off of the fan switch on the bottom left corner of the radiator. Find a piece of thin wire and push it into the connector then place the other end of the wire against a good clean earth or the battery negative terminal. If the fan runs then your problem is the radiator switch. If the fan doesn't run then it could be a number of things, the fan itself, one of the fuses, the fan relay (which is sealed inside the fusebox) or maybe even a poor connection at the fan plug or radiator switch. Even though you are not supposed to be able to get into the back of the fusebox, I managed to pry mine apart once to clean up the circuit board & re-solder a couple of connections that had gone bad, after which I sealed up the edges with silicone sealant. Water had somehow managed to get inside & cause some corrosion. Hope this helps.

1991 BMW K1100LT

1980 Suzuki GS1000G
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
r&s

I got my bike back. It was a junction box that needed replaced. Extended warranty covered it. I'm back on the road!
Thanks!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 08:12 AM
2FAS4U

You could run a toggle switch to ground the switch out. Turn it on in traffic when you want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement