Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Low Compression Front Cylinder

995 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  michiganteddybear 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 that might have a dead engine. The front cylinder sucks and blows (waiting for the comments) with 1 spark plug out. Got it as a project bike, might really become a project bike now. Just wondering if any one had any gotcha's for me to look into? Looks like the cams are in time, my guess it that I'll have to pull the engine, stater, etc. to see if the crank and cams are in time?

Anyway, me & the 18 yr old are gonna break 'er down like a shotgun if nothing else but for fun and learning. Plus lots of spare parts for my '95 Vulcan

#3 ·
If you're on a PC, you can see the link to the repair manual in my signature. It should detail cam timing marks, visible behind the round stator cover with the three screws.

So the front cylinder has compression, but it's not firing?

Might only be a dirty carb.

#4 ·
I can feel a pretty good puff of air from rear cylinder. The front is significantly less. I can feel it puff out, but also suck back in. Pulled the carbs and the exhaust to look at the valves. Both are wet and oily looking but the rear has normal dry carbon. I'll test the compression tomorrow and look at the stator marks. I appreciate the insight before we pulled it apart. Hoping we just have a timing issue.

#6 ·
We pulled the engine partly because my 18 yr old son is eager to learn all things related to motors, car or motorcycle. The bike's title says odometer "exceeds mechanical limits," so we figure there was more to fix than would be worth fixing. Especially if it really has 112K miles on it and the low availability of parts.

Having said that I will have some spare parts if anyone is needing anything. I'll post picture soon. Stock seat, luggage rack, engine guard, and a few other things.

#7 ·
We pulled the engine partly because my 18 yr old son is eager to learn all things related to motors, car or motorcycle. The bike's title says odometer "exceeds mechanical limits," so we figure there was more to fix than would be worth fixing. Especially if it really has 112K miles on it and the low availability of parts.

Having said that I will have some spare parts if anyone is needing anything. I'll post picture soon. Stock seat, luggage rack, engine guard, and a few other things.
I may be interested in the engine guard, actually possibly the seat and luggage rack as well. I have an old 89 my sons and i are trying to get going. I also have a 2001 that my youngest wants to take over and ride but neither bike has the engine guard. Pricing? And shipping to 03887

#8 ·
'beyond mechanical limits' is a catch all for any vehicle that has had a speedometer/odometer issue in the past and the mileage cant be verified (this includes a replacement speedo being installed). So, dont take it for granted it has over 100k on it, it may be a lot less. also, 100k is not unheard of on these bikes, as long as there has been proper maintainance in the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.