External shift mechanism - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation External shift mechanism

The shift lever shaft moves about 20 mm in and out of the casing; can I remove the casing without removing the engine so I can see what the issue is
Thanks
Glyn
1985 VN700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

the cause of that movement is a c-clip that has fallen off the shaft. other than engine pulling to fix (I *think* this requires a case split), its not really an issue. if your bothered by it, you can put a short piece of hose over the shaft between the lever and the left engine cover to hold it in the proper position (pulled out)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn Jones View Post
The shift lever shaft moves about 20 mm in and out of the casing; can I remove the casing without removing the engine so I can see what the issue is
Thanks
Glyn
1985 VN700
The outer circlip has come off the shaft. I don't think you'll get enough clearance to put a new one back in, without pulling or tilting the engine.

When the inner circlip comes off, a rubber hose slid over the shifter shaft will keep it from sliding inward. But the only fix for the outer circlip is to replace it.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 12:50 AM

Only way to fix this truly is to pull the engine and remove the stator cover. There is two clips on the shift shaft. The inner one has slipped off and worked its way down the shaft. It seems to be a common issue just finished having to change the stator on mine yet again and noticed my clip had slipped out of the grove again. Second times it’s done that. Probably just have to go with the suggestion of the hose over the shaft to keep the shaft from sliding in and out again.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 07:40 AM

MTB's fingers are quicker than mine.

As they said, if the shaft is sliding inward, it's the inner circlip, and you can use the hose for that. I misread and thought yours was sliding out.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 01:39 AM

Oddly enough I just finished an engine pull for a stator and found my inner clip had went to meet the outer clip. I put it back in its place. After reinstalling the engine I guess I had bumped the shaft too hard trying to get the engine back in. At the time when I found it I had it back together about 90%. I wasn’t about to yank everything back apart and decided to go with your hose idea but slightly modified. Found a piece of scrap brass fitting and drilled it out to slide over the shaft and filed the threads down so it looks like it belongs there. If it wasn’t for bad luck I wouldn’t have any luck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 05:53 AM

Watch the seal to make sure there's no wear happening with it. edit: can maybe add a plastic or rubber washer to absorb wear at the seal, if any.

I pulled my engine twice in two days because I screwed up installing the damper gear.

Too late now but it's a good idea to lay those clips down and make sure they're flat. If they're cupped from popping loose, they're more likely to pop loose again.

2003-21k mi

Last edited by Spockster; 04-25-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement