Muffler woes - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Muffler woes

Hello all, so since no one is really driving, the bike has become the go to for the few store trips I’ve needed to make. So when I parked the bike after my last run I noticed the right side muffler looked like it was tilted. I bent down to take a look and whattaya know, the weld is cracked clean off of the clamp. So today I decided to take the mufflers off. I wanted to measure the clamp size and what not to start shopping around. Well guess what, the left side was broken too!
So I took a short ride and it wasn’t as ridiculously loud as I expected it to be so I’m ok without the mufflers. So I’ve read plenty of times on here about HD sportser mufflers, are they all similar? Or is there a certain type? The other idea is just a pair of turnouts but I haven’t found any that looked like they’d work. And lastly I found these on eBay that look like they can be adjusted to fit, but not sure how’d they look with the heat shields.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153593970632
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75A64561-09EE-4005-A493-77A034CE3751_1586385531918.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	47437  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 05:22 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
Harley mufflers have too much baffle because they expect to see much higher flow. On a vn750 they choke the bike and you canít hear ANYTHING. I had mine on for exactly 4 hours and tossed them.

I still say the best setup is straight pipe to stock baffles.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I took a longer ride out on the interstate the other day and I have to be honest I kinda like the way the bike sounds without the mufflers. Which is a good thing considering they’re both broken. I was shocked when I looked up the price ($300 each) for OEM replacements. I’ll learn how to weld before I pay for that lol. Used on eBay is much cheaper but they look as bad as mine do. Any way, I found a couple of 3” x 6” long exhaust tips that’ll bolt on to the GB’s pipes once I get the corroded clamps and gaskets off. I’m hoping that’ll make it look more “finished”. I might need to mess with the heat shields to get it all to fit cleanly. They’re not very expensive and returnable if I don’t like it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 02:27 PM

Garage
I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild, so funds are tight. However, when I have cash again, I plan to put a pair of these on in place of the mufflers.

https://gibsonperformance.com/i-2273...ip-500383.html

The clamp on the front of these tips needs to be cut off, and a hanger should probably be added near the back.
However, the diameters should be just right to fit. And I think they'd look great on this bike!

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion.

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals. Windshield. Highway Pegs. (Possible) ignition adv. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pittenger View Post
I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild, so funds are tight. However, when I have cash again, I plan to put a pair of these on in place of the mufflers.

https://gibsonperformance.com/i-2273...ip-500383.html

The clamp on the front of these tips needs to be cut off, and a hanger should probably be added near the back.
However, the diameters should be just right to fit. And I think they'd look great on this bike!

I put these short 6” tips right on the GB. Makes it look like a solid pipe under the heat shield. A little more finished looking than just having the mufflers off. Like I mentioned in other posts I’m not looking to spend a ton of money on this bike anymore. They’re cheap as hell and I was able to get the heat shield clamp to fit right over them. They sound good to me, not ridiculously loud but grunty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251609896720

https://youtu.be/YeIXvEukAgM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement