Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Click-clack

5K views 47 replies 8 participants last post by  One1 
#1 ·
So I’ve read quite a lot on here about the ACCTs and MCCTs for this bike. Since it’s winter (well almost, it hasn’t been real cold) here in philly I get this sound when the engine has been sitting and is completely cold. It doesn’t last for longer than a few minutes so I’m assuming as the engine warms up things are expanding into place. But I don’t have enough experience to know the difference between a valve tapping or a cam chain clanking. So far I’ve tried the grambo trick, but it didn’t make a difference so Before I try that again or go even further and get new tensioners, I wanted to see if someone could give me a positive ID from the video.

https://youtu.be/Pa37CE-DaJM

#41 ·
I too had read somewhere that since the Vulcan was Kawasaki’s first step into the V-twin world its motor was heavily influenced by the Ninja motor that was out at the time. Don’t know how much actual truth is in that but it lends itself to what you’re saying.

#43 ·
“Could get a cheap wrench from Harbor Frieght and cut it off.”

The locknut doesn't have to be super tight, just snug to hold the adjuster from turning.[/QUOTE]

Made a trip to the closest Harbor Freight yesterday before they “lock down” Delaware county in PA. Caught a crazy sale and got a torque wrench for $10!! Plus I got a set of metric combo wrenches for $4 and pack of diamond cutting wheels for the dremmel. I now have a perfect lock nut wrench for the right side tensioner that I can get on there without moving the coolant reservoir. Cut it down so the total length is 2 3/4 inch. Just need to grind down the cut side a little.

Attachments

#45 ·
"I made spacers for the coolant bottle" I don't understand. My coolant reservoir fits perfectly with the TOC tensioners. I just installed them on my new/used 1997 a couple months ago with no problems. Has there been more than one version of them? I got mine right after they first came out.

#47 ·
The ones I made interfered with the coolant bottle so I spaced it out. Some of us poor folk can't afford TOC crap...

Sent from my 100005206 using Tapatalk

#46 ·
Absolutely, it’s a win win. The wrench itself is thinner than the others I have so the open end can get on the main bolt of the tensioner while the stub on the lock nut. Both fit without removing the reservoir. These are definitely staying in the tool box behind the seat.

#48 · (Edited)
No reason not to be creative and make a special wrench if you have the time to, but you’re spending time on a non issue. Once the TOC’s are set they don’t have to be touched again for at least 8k miles. This isn’t something I’d try to cut corners on to save time, personally. You’re Setting something that needs full attention as you listen and feel for the right setting so it shouldn't Be a ten second thing. Taking the 10mm out of the coolant bottle to remove the overflow tank should be the very least of the worries. With the coolant bottle in place and adjusting with a wrench you can’t feel the chain. If you’ll hand tighten the TOC’s you’ll feel the chain and learn when it feels right. If over tightened it’ll feel like it’s tapping the bolt as it drags on it and thats Your only feedback once it goes quiet. Once it’s where you think it should be there is a second way to know it's too tight and that’s when taking a test ride. It will make a mild whhhrrrrrrrr Rushing sound of the chain. It’s not a loud sound so do it without a helmet if you wear a helmet that covers your ears. Just go up and down the street to test. if you hear the chain rushing sound you’ll Eat the guides up from it being too tight.

You should be at idle, loosen the lock nut, lightly finger tighten until the noise of the chain stops clacking, then 1/4 turn more and you’ll feel the chain start grabbing at the TOC. as long as it doesn’t make the whrrrr sound and isn’t clacking you’re good to go.

Reactions: Thorn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.