Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Sprung a Leak

Took the bike out for a nice cool Florida ride yesterday, a treat we seldom savor here in my beloved swamp state. All was going well until I pulled off to check out a little rural street festival in Macclenny and saw that the bike was pissing coolant at me!

BAD DOG!

Looked a little closer and saw that it was indeed hot coolant in a piddly little stream coming from the right side, base of the front jug, right at the cylinder base gasket. CRAP! Looks like I'm gonna put a JB-Weld band-aid on it because I sure as hell ain't tearing the engine out to properly replace the gasket anytime soon.

I'll post more as I progress. If it works I'll ride it until it leaks again or something else breaks, if not... I guess I'll have to start planning for a cylinder base gasket replacement or shop for a new bike. (I've been wanting a KLR or some kinda dual sport for all too long now...)

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

here's some pics. it's really only pissing like that when the temp needle is about halfway, any lower it's slowly seeping.

as you can see, though, that's pointed directly at my right foot. I'm surprised that I didn't get scalded and only noticed it when I got off the bike. lucky break for sure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191207_150645.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	47073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191207_150631.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	47075  

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

scrubbed the engine paint off near the leak at the seam, sprayed it with rubbing alcohol, and applied JB QuikSteel to the leaking area, which was still actively seeping fluid very slowly.

it's ugly and is the WRONG way to fix this, for sure, a literal bandaid, but we'll see if it holds. I already got it halfway up to temp standing still and it didn't seem to be leaking for the moment; only a few heat cycles will truly tell whether this fix is good

either way, the stick of quiksteel is gonna reside in the saddlebag for a while now, just in case

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 06:32 PM

Location: Southern Maryland, Waldorf/LaPlata/Indian Head area

I used JB Weld on a Mazda truck,on a water pipe between the engine and the fire wall it was still holding when I got rid of it years later. It with stood hot rush hour traffic. Good luck it may fool you.

1985 700 Vulcan / Purchased 13,636 miles currently 19,126/Fork Seals & Dust Covers/Ignition Switch/AGM Battery/Hell Fire Windshield/River Roads Saddle Bags/Coil Relay Mod/2Wire Mod/RLU Bypass/Head Light Switch/Voltage monitor Green light/Mosfit R&R/Tuxedo Mod/Stator/Point Gap .020/ Dampers/Rear Signal & Brake Light LED'S/Rebuilt Shutoff Valve/Final Drive Gear Oil/Brake Shoes/Spline & Hub Lube/11 inch Progressive Shocks/De Goated/Engine Guard/Rejetted For K/N Pods/TOC mcct's

Last edited by Sparkys73150; 12-09-2019 at 11:47 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 07:02 PM

With the antifreeze under the JB Weld, it will probably seep a bit, then eventually come loose. Doesn't hurt to try it and see.

Very clean, dry, paint-free works best. If it's smooth, use some sandpaper on it.

I JB'd chunks back into a 2-stroke case and it worked fine, was still there when I sold it. Think I forgot to tell the buyer too, damn!

The chain flew off and broke the three bolt bosses out on the chain guard. Wouldn't have held oil without the JB. Rode it a long time like that.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I didn't realize until I was already applying the mixed steelstik epoxy that the hole was still seeping coolant while applying it, which will probably ultimately hurt adhesion and promote seepage, but it seemed to hold after a couple hours and was unfazed by my attempts to pick it off, so it seems to have gotten a good hold on the surrounding aluminum

my next thought may be to try a bit of silicone on the leak, then reinforce that silicone with a casing of the JB weld so that the coolant isn't coming into contact with the epoxy, but we'll burn that bridge when we get to it (aka: if/when the coolant starts leaking again)

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 03:43 PM

Garage
Mine started leaking in April, but it never got passed weeping. I decided to take the winter season to replace the gasket. I didn't want it to start leaking into the engine oil.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/70-proje...ad-gasket.html
ubertalldude likes this.

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion.

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals. Windshield. Highway Pegs. (Possible) ignition adv. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

thanks for linking to your thread, I knew somebody around here was tearing into the job but couldn't remember that it was you

I don't know if I'll get around to the proper repair, honestly. I don't have a garage, my dad does, but he's 2 hrs away, and I've been hankering for a new offroad-capable bike for a while now. I've had the engine out before, and I really don't want to do it again

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

it wound up falling right off ans eeping today when I got home from work. round 2, drained the coolant, cleaned the area, then applied silicone gasket maker to the area. I'll let it dry then encase it in JB weld again, see if insulating the coolant from the jb weld helps

may be time to sell with a disclaimer...

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 01:40 AM

Garage
Just add a small funnel where it's spraying out and redirect the flow to a convenient sump ... like say ... the coolant reservoir!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement