the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
My neighbor has a Kawi cruiser, not sure of the size, not a 750 but not the biggest cruiser either, parallel twin engine. It's got straight pipes cut off just behind the footpegs (which are not forward like ours).

It's the loudest, and slowest, thing on two wheels. My VN would leave it in the dust using only 2nd gear. It's just unreal how that bike struggles to move, but I can hear him crossing the nearest bridge which is at least a mile away, maybe two.
The VN500 maybe? I had a neighbor with one, and it was not just loud but also obnoxious. Think gas leaf blower! He knew it too. But he said after changing mufflers, people stopped cutting him off on the highway.

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion.

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals. Windshield. Highway Pegs. (Possible) ignition adv. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pittenger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
My neighbor has a Kawi cruiser, not sure of the size, not a 750 but not the biggest cruiser either, parallel twin engine. It's got straight pipes cut off just behind the footpegs (which are not forward like ours).

It's the loudest, and slowest, thing on two wheels. My VN would leave it in the dust using only 2nd gear. It's just unreal how that bike struggles to move, but I can hear him crossing the nearest bridge which is at least a mile away, maybe two.
The VN500 maybe? I had a neighbor with one, and it was not just loud but also obnoxious. Think gas leaf blower! He knew it too. But he said after changing mufflers, people stopped cutting him off on the highway.

I just came from my mechanic’s shop because I picked up a screw in my rear tire. Needed a plug until my new tire shows up. There were a few Kawasaki parallel twins there. One was an 82 750 LTD looked like a decent bike. It felt very familiar
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 12:31 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Just an FYI, several folks have reported here that their bike “felt quicker” after scrapping the stock exhaust and switching to aftermarket or home built pipes.
There are two reasons for this, One is making the bike louder simply makes one feel the motor is more powerful, a psychological trick as “louder” in our subconscious is attributed to “bigger, stronger or more threatening” even if actual dyno results show no increase, one still “feels” somehow their bike is faster.
Two... lost mass. The stock exhaust is quite heavy. Not sure exactly what the total weight of the mufflers, goats belly, and headers is, but it’s likely twice the weight of simpler exhausts. Less weight will always increase acceleration. So running straight pipes although the math will say you’ll lose some power off the line, can be negated to even surpassed by losing all that extra weight.

Couple that with removing the air box and all intake plumbing and going with some lightweight pod filters, and re-jetting it’s not hard to believe you have in fact made the bike quicker.
The question is how much. I’ve seen dyno numbers on a slightly modified VN, but not the figures of that particular bike before the modifications, as I’ve noticed from riding others Vulcans, no two bikes are exactly the same. And of course dyno numbers don’t figure in the bikes weight.

I think if your planning on racing your bike all this is important. But if you’re talking about making your bike comfortable and livable for everyday life on the road, not so much.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 12-07-2019 at 12:34 PM.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pittenger View Post
I was thinking LTD, but the side covers don't match any I can find on an LTD or VN500. It looks de-badged, hell maybe it's a Suzi or something. Been trying to figure it out for a few years, some sort of Kawi was the best I could come up with.

This thing just sounds horrible, but it's definitely loud, and it's loud for a long time, because it's sooo slooow, haha. It's a long time even between gear changes. I think his tach is like a sundial or something.

You'll be a qualified clocksmith after you get that engine back together and running.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Just an FYI, several folks have reported here that their bike “felt quicker” after scrapping the stock exhaust and switching to aftermarket or home built pipes.
There are two reasons for this, One is making the bike louder simply makes one feel the motor is more powerful, a psychological trick as “louder” in our subconscious is attributed to “bigger, stronger or more threatening” even if actual dyno results show no increase, one still “feels” somehow their bike is faster.
I can confirm this. My bike feels faster when I don't wear earplugs...and not just slightly either!

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion.

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals. Windshield. Highway Pegs. (Possible) ignition adv. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement