Cleaned tank and now white smoke, hard to start and keep running - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Cleaned tank and now white smoke, hard to start and keep running

So I went ahead and gave the gas tank an acid bath following the muriatic acid and naval jelly instructions. I rinsed everything out, dried it, and put it back together. During this time, I cleaned out the carbs.

Now, when trying to start, I have a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and it dies if I don't continually give it a lot of gas. It sound terrible, and you can definitely tell it's not running right.

When trying to start it the first time, it backfired and sounded like a gunshot twice until I got it to start. Do you think I could have blown a head gasket in doing so? Strange thing is that BOTH exhausts are showing white smoke. I've checked oil levels and coolant levels and nothing looks awry.

Could there have been water left in there? I went to the gas station and grabbed some fresh gas and put in some seafoam and let it run for a good 2 minutes with white smoke billowing out, but no change.

Any ideas?

Last edited by mdub23; 09-26-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:24 AM

The gunshot sound when trying to start it is usually battery related. Doesn’t mean it’s fully dead but not cranking like it should. I thought white smoke was a sign of water or condensation. What’s the temp gauge showing? Is it getting way too hot??
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
The gunshot sound when trying to start it is usually battery related. Doesnít mean itís fully dead but not cranking like it should. I thought white smoke was a sign of water or condensation. Whatís the temp gauge showing? Is it getting way too hot??
Temp gauge isn't showing any change really. I've only kept it running for about 5 minutes as I didn't want to keep it running in that condition (kept having to rev throttle over and over). The battery makes sense, considering I was cranking over and over again until the battery finally died. Any ideas on how to resolve?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Sounds like the white vapor could be gas (holding the throttle open). This engine is one of the few I've seen that will produce white gasoline vapors at the exhaust when it's flooding. Maybe a stuck float? Sometimes, hitting the sides of the carb can free a stuck float, sharp raps with a plastic screwdriver handle will usually do it.

Can you smell gas or antifreeze?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmart View Post
The gunshot sound when trying to start it is usually battery related. Doesn’t mean it’s fully dead but not cranking like it should. I thought white smoke was a sign of water or condensation. What’s the temp gauge showing? Is it getting way too hot??
Temp gauge isn't showing any change really. I've only kept it running for about 5 minutes as I didn't want to keep it running in that condition (kept having to rev throttle over and over). The battery makes sense, considering I was cranking over and over again until the battery finally died. Any ideas on how to resolve?
If it’s a good battery, just needs a jump if you’ve run it down. Maybe hook it up to a car battery (CAR NOT RUNNING) I’m no carb expert so I won’t pretend to diagnose that. The little carb knowledge I have if from the folks on here
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both for the replies. I'll try rapping on the floats and see if I can get it resolved, and hook up to car battery for continued starts if I need to.

Thanks!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

So I just got back in and I rapped on the floats again and no dice. I took off the air filters (earshave mod) and when the bike is running low I can see gas sputtering out of the carb. I let the bike run for about 5 minutes and there was no change in anything.

Not sure if this helps, but what happens is I put choke to full (only way to start it) give it like half throttle and it will eventually start up. Then I have to hold revs. If it gets down to around 1.5k rpm it'll try to stall and I have to give it gas. If I just let off the throttle it will die right away, even if the idle knob is turned in all the way.

Last edited by mdub23; 09-26-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 12:07 PM

Still reads like flooding, but ...

Pull one plug from each cyl. and see if it looks steam cleaned. And note the color if it's not clean. Also, look really close at the plugs, you might see water droplets if it's burning coolant.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, I used a rebuild kit which might be part of the issue. I am going to just clean the original parts and put it back together and see if it runs any better.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub23 View Post
Hmm, I used a rebuild kit which might be part of the issue. I am going to just clean the original parts and put it back together and see if it runs any better.
If you changed the float valve (needle valve), give it and it's seat a close look.

Shake the float to make sure there's no gas in it.

2003-21k mi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement