Shifter shaft pushed in - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Shifter shaft pushed in

Hey guys, after the motor on my bike locked up (not sure why yet) I was like no problem, I have spare thanks to a parts bike I had gotten. So I got the old one out and got the new one mounted when I noticed the shifter could move in and out. I went crap that C-clip came off somehow. I'll have to pull it back apart and reset that C-clip(which made me rather upset and walk away for a day or two). So I pulled the motor back out of the bike, pulled the stator cover again, and attempted to push the C-clip back into it's grove with no luck. The shaft is being held from coming all the way back out to where it should be sitting. so i put the foot shifter back on the shaft and used it to pull and twist the shifter with no luck it's not going back into place. I have never split the case on one of these ( or any motorcycle/ATV engine) so I really don't want to but i have a bad feeling i'm going to have to if i want a running motorcycle. So I guess finally to my question Have any of you guys experienced this before? What did it turn out to be and what did you have to do to fix it? Thanks in advance for any and all help or input/suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190920_201411398.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	46621  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:28 AM

Hate to say it, but it sounds like the internal shift rod may be broken. But you didn't mention how it feels when you try to shift. Will it shift, or does it not rotate at all?

I was thinking maybe with the shaft pushed inward, it's caught in the rotating assembly somehow, so the engine can't turn and the shifter shaft is stuck where it is.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:21 PM

Garage
There's nothing on the other side of that case wall that could easily get in the way.
see the corresponding part of Roach's rebuild video on youtube

1985 Kawasaki VN750 Engine Rebuild - pt7 (at the end)
and pt 17 (4:00 for reassembly)

Strangely his doesn't seem to have the two washers that accompany the circlips?

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:24 PM

I didn't review any drawings or anything, just figured if the shaft could float inward, it might contact something, more so if the internal rod is broken and floating free on one end. But maybe not.

There's a washer in the pic, behind the circlip.

If it's locked up from some other reason, it has bigger trouble than a shifty shifter.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

so the shifter will go through all of the gears and motor will spin regardless of if the shifter is pushed in or not. I will have to check out those times in the rebuild videos thanks for which spots they are at. I measured the how far the shaft isn't being allowed to be pulled out. one is the motor that's locked up the shorter is motor i'm working on

when pulling on shaft to try to get it out further it feels what i would describe as slightly springy it doesn't seem to stop dead you can pull harder and get it to pull out a tiny bit further(probably less than a mm). I will post video in a few min. I have tried pulling while wiggling it and pulling while shifting /rotating with no luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190921_132309396.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	46623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190921_131738844.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	46625  

Last edited by dc4114dc; 09-21-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Add more info
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:40 PM

I'm confused.

Quote:
one is the motor that's locked up the shorter is motor i'm working on
The engine is locked up, and it isn't?

If the first pic in this thread is the inner circlip, it looks like the shaft is pulled out as far as it goes. The washer with that circlip should ride against the inner case, or a lot closer to it.

The outer circlip and washer rides against the inside of the stator case.

2003-21k mi

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:48 PM

Garage
He's got two engines, one that is locked up, but has the shifter shaft properly clipped into place, and a second, non-locked up engine that the shifter rod won't pull out far enough to get the innermost clip into it's groove.

I think the first picture is just demonstrating that the groove is not clearing the hole in the crank case, and the circlip was just pulled back for visibility's sake.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
He's got two engines, one that is locked up, but has the shifter shaft properly clipped into place, and a second, non-locked up engine that the shifter rod won't pull out far enough to get the innermost clip into it's groove.

I think the first picture is just demonstrating that the groove is not clearing the hole in the crank case, and the circlip was just pulled back for visibility's sake.
Aha! Thanks.

yup, misread the first post.

2003-21k mi

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Since everything still works I'm thinking about removing that outer C-clip and putting a spacer then reinstall clip. That way the shifter can't move inward then put the whole thing back together. I know it's not the proper fix for it but if it works it works which means I would be able to ride again and that is something I really want to do.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

a working temporary fix is putting an appropriate sized piece of hose on the outside of the case, between shift lever and case, to hold it out into the same position

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement