Shifter shaft pushed in - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
a working temporary fix is putting an appropriate sized piece of hose on the outside of the case, between shift lever and case, to hold it out into the same position
First thing I thought when I read the title, then I went on to confuse myself reading the post. Coffee before computer, always!

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:26 PM

Garage
I ran across another video from years ago of someone with exactly the same problem as you, so there's a recurring problem that is more than just a popped-off circlip. Was the bike dropped on the shifter or something similar before this happened? I'm wondering if the dog-leg on the interior end of the shifter rod got smashed against the far case and was bent towards the shift lever, eating up some of the rod's length? There's a window between the two halves of the crank case to allow oil to flow back and forth ... I wonder if you could stick a dentist's mirror through there and see what's happening on the other side.

Or, you know, slap some hose on there and ride.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

After I realized there was an issue but before I took the cover back off I had thought about a spring on the outside but decided to open it back up to try to fix it properly I was thinking about a spacer on the shaft because it wouldn't wear as much a hose and it wouldn't rub against the oil seal on the outside of the case. To me, it seems to be a more "permanent" rigged fix (because I know myself and as long as it works I'm not going to worry about it anymore) so as long as there is enough space between the shifter and the gear next to it I shouldn't have an issue. Is there a reason that hose on the outside may be better?

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:36 PM

If the seal happens to be slightly below the edge of the case, a washer could be used to prevent rubbing the seal.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

I have had to replace that seal, and I *think* the actual sealing surface is recessed a bit. but yes, a washer between hose/spacer and seal should prevent any wear there regardless of whether or not the sealing surface is recessed

also, there is very little movement in the shaft in normal operation, so if you select a hose/spacer thats a tight fit to the shaft, you may be ok, as the hose/spacer will only move (rotate) with the shaft, and not spin freely due to vibration

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

I think tomorrow I'm going to go to Ace and find a spacer i'll update you guys just so you know how it goes! I'm planning on putting the spacer on the inside of the case (between the inner part of the case and the C-clip on the shaft) so I don't have to worry about that seal ( plus it would be metal and not rubber so might last longer if I can keep this motor without blowing it up that is haha) if I can't get the right spacer then I'll go for a hose on the outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement