Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Small coolant leak

972 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Jason Pittenger 
#1 ·
I have a very small coolant leak at the front cylinder base gasket.
the cylinder and head itself are clean so i know the coolant is not coming from the pipe above.
There is no mixing coolant in oil or vice versa, it loses only a very small amount each day.
It will be a winter project since i don't think there is any danger to running as is for now.

I know i have to pull the engine to get it apart.
My question is, do i have to remove the cam chain or can i sneak the cylinder off after removing the pin that goes between the chain?
I don't want to have to take apart more than i need to in order to fix it and will probably end up doing both sides to prevent future leaks.

#2 ·
It would appear that no one has ever tried to remove the top end without taking out the cam chains.

It was a small leak so i used black RTV on the corner that was leaking.
Does not make sense to me to remove the engine and tear it apart to fix a minor leak.
It is a clean bike and looks really good for a 1989 but it is no show bike so a little RTV black won't hurt it.

#5 ·
I have the same issue on my '89! 27,000 miles. So far, I've just been topping off the coolant tank. I talked with a mechanic who wants to charge me $300-$500 to replace the front gasket, so I am VERY interested in how this goes for you. PLEASE post your results.

My stator is still good, but I was going to do the Tuxedo mod while the engine is out. That way, I'll be able to replace the stator later on. I was also going to check the engine dampers while I was there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.