Another problem yet again - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

So do you think I should just go ahead and unclip that wire that was suppose to hook to the Sensor and leave it unhooked?? And then just run wires straight to battery adding a fuseable link? That would fix the problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Hopefully moving the R/R will fix the heat-related issues.

Just an FYI on that wire for the toggle switch, it's still running through the relay before it gets to that point. If you have continued problems, the relay may somehow be at fault, even if it's fully functional, just by adding resistance to the circuit (slowing the fan speed?) since the circuit runs through the relay's primary coil. Running a wire straight from the battery might be necessary down the road. If the previous owner added a switch it was probably because the relay went bad, and if the relay went bad, and you're still using half of it, that's shady territory! Hopefully it'll work without problem for years just how it is.

Question for the masses: What's the amperage draw of the fan? Stock it's only running through the main 30 amp fuse. Would it blow out a 10 amp if someone were to try to run it off the accessory wires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:04 AM

Garage
That's what I'd do. Better to unhook it at the JB to decrease chance of having the live wire short rub and short on something. (black/yellow on the 10-pin connector)

If the fan does draw less than 10 amps, the accessory leads at the headlight would be a convenient tie-in point without having to add another wire to the battery terminal. Maybe someone will chime in with the specs on the fan motor.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

I went ahead and did away with what previous owner had done. I ran a wire with fuseable link from battery to switch, than another wire from switch straight to the fans plug( I cut the power wire off plug and ran my own)

And I left the fans ground wire , grounded to The ground wire coming off the stock plug. I have to slap the battery back in and I then I will test it and see if the bike starts having a charging problem when warm again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
That's what I'd do. Better to unhook it at the JB to decrease chance of having the live wire short rub and short on something. (black/yellow on the 10-pin connector)

If the fan does draw less than 10 amps, the accessory leads at the headlight would be a convenient tie-in point without having to add another wire to the battery terminal. Maybe someone will chime in with the specs on the fan motor.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:55 AM

Garage
Good luck!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for help, I think it’s fixed.... I took it for a ride and noticed my voltage gauge drop to nothing and had gotten dim, then shot to 20v did this a few times but I rode it about 6 miles down the road just enough to get her hot and everything seemed fine... the battery was charging.

I’m thinking maybe possibly my meter got dim then bright a few times could be a connection or the old thing maybe going out... but as of now everything seems fine charging wise. I do appreciate the help, I would of never figured that one out myself
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:23 PM

20v?? Where’s that reading coming from? That’s pretty high for the charging system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement