Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So a weird thing happened today. My bike started to overheat on my way to work. I pull over look at the sight glass. Low oil. I think to myself well shucks. Put oil in it, start it up, sounds good. I get on the interstate ride a few miles, I see the temp gauge start to rise. I feel warm fluid hitting my right leg and see oil coming out of the right air pod.
This leads me to pull over and call for a tow. I'm on the side of the I81 south now waiting, I cant help but wonder WTF happened. Did it get over filled with oil and backflow out through the air intake? Did I seriously f*** up my bike? What happened internet? Any insight would be great.

Ps there were quite a few motorcyclist that stopped by to check on me and gave me some water along with 2 state troopers. Shout out to the great people of the universe.
-the newb Firstbike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1564175472874561753035102230362_1564175484602.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	46345   Click image for larger version

Name:	15641755135001847170245089617943_1564175533248.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	46347  

Last edited by Firstbike750; 07-26-2019 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Adding pictures for reference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:20 PM
Old Fart

Garage
It takes several minutes for the oil to settle in the lower case to take a reading in the sight glass. So it's likely your oil level was fine, and you added more oil.
Which would explain why oil exited the motor. Oil is necessary, but doesn't cool the bike, that's the job of the coolant, which is what you should have checked.
The oil should have come out that round filter on the right side of the bike in front of the gas tank...not the airfilter.. check your coolant level... check your oil level after the bike has sat for awhile, and on the center stand on level ground....(it can't be running of course)
You bike has had an "earshave" that round filter is the crankcase breather, and oil will come out of it if you overfill.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 07-26-2019 at 06:12 PM.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:08 PM

I second that shout out to those who stopped for you as well. My stator died and stranded me on Memorial Day and the help of strangers got me started up and going long enough to get home.
Secondly if you overfilled the motor is believe it’ll definitely find a way out when under pressure. This is my first bike as well and like a knucklehead I left my petcock open when storing the bike last winter so gas slowly drained into the engine. Long story short, the first ride on the interstate, oil found its way out any way it could. I too thought I killed the bike but all is good after draining it and refilling.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:15 PM

Probably didn't hurt it, but something is going on with the cooling. If it was full of coolant, I would say check the thermostat. After that you're looking for a clogged radiator or bad water pump.

Any speed above 35 mph, it should stay cool without the fan. If you were in traffic at 25 mph or less, the fan comes into play, so make sure it's working by grounding the black/yellow wire on the fan switch.

It does take some minutes for the oil to drain back into the sight glass. And the oil can look milky if the engine is run a couple minutes then shut down. It's air in the oil, and goes away after full warmup.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
It takes several minutes for the oil to settle in the lower case to take a reading in the sight glass. So it's likely your oil level was fine, and you added more oil.
Which would explain why oil exited the motor. Oil is necessary, but doesn't cool the bike, that's the job of the coolant, which is what you should have checked.
The oil should have come out that round filter on the right side of the bike in front of the gas tank...not the airfilter.. check your coolant level... check your oil level after the bike has sat for awhile, and on the center stand on level ground.
You bike has had an "earshave" that round filter is the crankcase breather, and oil will come out of it if you overfill.
So the whole process I did at autozone
was I checked the coolant level and the reservoir was full, even went about checking the connection beneath the radiator to verify I wasn't insane, then proceeded to check the oil level. I waited for roughly 15 min for it to settle after riding it 1/2 mile to autozone. (It sat all day at burger king in the shade lol). I checked it at about 15 minutes of being there. And you are correct I must have typed it wrong it wasn't coming out of the ear shave filter. It was the round filter up top, I apologize for the misinformation.

Good to know that the overflow was an appropriate response to my mistake though. I will say that after adding oil I could see the new oil still down in the sight glass. Any suggestions on how to fix?? Just flush the radiator with vinegar, distilled water, refill with coolant and distilled water. Also do an oil change to make sure I have the right amount. Should I be concerned about any getting into the ear shaved filter?
@Spockster . I was traveling on the interstate at roughly 70 mph when it started to overheat. I should also mention it was ~0600 hours. So still cool lol

Last edited by Firstbike750; 07-26-2019 at 06:32 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Drained oil, flushed coolant. Replaced both. Now there is a squeak. I put 3.5 L in it. The fan is kicking on only after it's so close to overheating. I read some other posts about overheating. I am thinking that oil is not moving up to the pistons causing a squeak/knock.

https://youtu.be/ruuXkQwkz_s

Last edited by Firstbike750; 07-27-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

I am pretty sure I hear cam chains slapping around on the right side of engine (rear cylinder) on left side I hear the squeak.. I am wondering if the mccts (I see they are either converted ACCT's or aftermarket MCCT's) are the problem. too loose in rear (right) and too tight in front (left)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:49 PM

It is struggling to idle, so the cam chains may be some of it. The squeak may be the water pump, but I would want to listen with a mechanic's stethoscope before I pulled it apart. If the squeak is a cam chain tensioner.. yikes!

I wouldn't keep riding like that.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I'm not riding it currently but I'm kind of at a loss with what to do. I dont see the oil leaving the sight glass. It is continuing to heat up and the fan kicks on at the end, but once it is way too hot. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm mechanically inclined (definitely not a professional) but I have never worked on a bike before this one.

So what am I into at this point? I'm just unsure of my next steps to fixing.

1. Noises
Not sure what do do about this one
2. Cooling issues
Could bypass thermostat to see if it is a thermostat or water pump issue?

Would more pictures/video help of close ups for the bike?

Last edited by Firstbike750; 07-27-2019 at 10:02 PM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:40 PM

If the sight glass isn't almost dry with the engine running, it's not pumping enough oil.

Does the oil light come on when you first turn the key on?

2003-21k mi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement