1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes it sure does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 09:11 AM

The oil switch has a fairly low threshold, around 5-7 psi. So you must be getting some oil pressure, if the oil switch is working. But not much oil volume, if the sight glass stays full.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:50 AM

What is the temp gauge reading when you say it's overheating? The needle pointing straight up is normal temp and just slightly higher is where the fan should kick on. If it's going all the way to the right, in the red, before the fan kicks on, there's a problem with the fan switch as well.

The overheat condition may be from the lack of oil flow.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So the temp is rising to almost the red before the fan kicks on, should I just replace the connection? I noticed it was corroded, i scraped it clean and it still was happening.

As far as volumeI put about 3.5 L in, should I put in the full 4 if it's not getting enough volume. Should that do the trick? Or are you thinking the oil pump is out? (I'm using 20w-50 just as an aside)
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:07 PM

I think there's a problem with the oil pump, with fan operation being a distant second problem.

Just from memory, I'm not able to go check, but I'm pretty sure my sight glass goes from reading full with engine off, to approx. 1/8"-1/4" in the sight glass when running (could be even less). For now, it looks like you have some oil pressure, but not nearly enough volume.

Without proper lubrication, it's going to make a lot of heat in a hurry, along with a lot of tapping, knocking, etc.

2003-21k mi

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dang. That was my worst case scenario. I was hoping it wasn't that. So in order to fix it I have to split the case and a whole bunch of other happy horse s***. I'm going to fiddle around and see if something else is causing the lack of pressure. Maybe I caused an air bubble in the filter or something and it's not circulating. One can hope.

Last edited by Firstbike750; 07-28-2019 at 01:11 PM.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstbike750 View Post
Maybe I caused an air bubble in the filter or something and it's not circulating. One can hope.
definately something to look at. it will make a mess, but maybe slightly loosed filter and crank it. it may have a big air bubble in it. also, what oil filter are you using?

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I dont remember the filter, I had to have autozone order one in to fit it. But I attempted the burping and line no oil came out. The oil pump is definitely gonzo. I feel as if this is turning into a parts bike.....am I correct in thinking the oil pump replacement would be pretty expensive?
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 12:47 AM

Garage
Hang on, your oil light turns off when the engine is running, but you get no oil out where the filter screws on if you remove it? I mean, the pump must have been moving SOME oil when you overheated the first time, since the oil sight was reading empty. Even at 7-8 PSI there should be some movement. Just saying the symptoms don't necessarily add up. On the other hand, these other guys are right more often than I am!

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:12 AM

Garage
You may have a badly clogged oil passage, try checking for oil at the external lines, just loosen the banjo bolts and turn the engine over. the oil filter mount is a plate sitting on top of a set of passages, there could be some old silicone or other debris in them stopping the flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement