Fluid Leak and Running Rough - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Fluid Leak and Running Rough

Hello everyone! I am new to this site, this is really cool I think...a website all about the Vulcan750!!!

Well I have a 92 kawasaki Vulcan 750 (Obviously lol), I bought the bike a little over a year ago and seems like I have been having to fix things left and right, minor things but still. I think this is going to be my biggest issue yet. So the bike has been running pretty good all year up until yesterday evening. I started the bike up to go on a little night cruise and I noticed that it was running really rough..kinda sounded like it was more towards the exhaust so I pulled it back into the garage and noticed a small puddle of fluid that sort of looked like motor oil but it has a smell of gasoline to it. But I couldn’t find it anywhere. So I left it overnight to see if anymore would leak, none. I decided to start it back up and sure enough it was leaking pretty steadily up towards the front of the bike between the engine and radiator. I couldn’t see exactly where though, does anybody have any idea what could be going on?

Also i dont know if this helps much but it also seems to have trouble starting up unless I have the choke on...which to me is kind of off seeing as how warm the weather has been
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:46 AM

Hello, the fluid leak is going to be hard to tell without pics etc, but needing the choke to start really isn’t an issue. These bikes generally need either some choke or a little throttle twist (not all the way) to get started after sitting. I think the term “cold start” is more related to operating temp vs ambient temp. Page from owners manual below
Also, if you’re new to the site, someone will ask you to put a intro in the new members section to get some detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	254C8FCB-4695-412F-BE49-0008391B6D89_1561981559029.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	46169  
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:48 AM

Sorry if that pic is hard to read, perhaps someone else has a better pic.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Well, is it oil, gas, or coolant? Sounds like coolant but you said oilly and smells like gas.
Be nice to have a definite answer here.

Unless your garage is 200 degrees, you'll need the choke to start it.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement