\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Oil in plugs

Hello all,
I just posted a thread in the introductory section to introduce myself. I've searched the forums for my particular problem and have not been able to find the answer so I'm hoping you all can help.

Last week I did the acct to mcct conversion that a lot of you have done and until yesterday afternoon the bike was running better than ever. My wife and I went on a short ride, then went for dinner. After dinner, the bike would not start easily, and when I got it started it backfired and popped in first and second gear. When I was in 3rd and 4th gear it had more power and less popping. Every time I came to a stop or slowed down the bike would die or almost die.
There was a strong smell of gas, but I couldn't see any leakage once I got home and parked. The rear plugs are wet with gas, and the front plugs are wet with what I believe is oil and not carbon.
Any chance this is related to the mcct conversion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I doubt your installation of the mcct has anything to do with this, especially after you said the bike was running great.

My first guess is a stuck float, causing fuel to run into your intake. Check for gas in the oil. So try the back-blow method and some seafoam.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

What are your thoughts about the oil on the front plugs? I am worried it's a seal. Would that happen seemingly out of nowhere?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I think once you get the motor running properly again it will go away. Piston walls are oiled and if you get too much fuel in the combustion chamber it can wash the oil off and deposit it on the plugs (and valves)
The only way for oil (and just oil) to foul a plug is if the rings are severely worn or you have a valve that's not sealing. You'd likely notice this by loss of power, or by doing a compression check.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks so much. I have been afraid that I was going to be pulling out the engine. I'm going to do a compression check tomorrow. I'll do what you suggested first. I hope that's all it is. It would certainly explain oil and gas on the plugs at the same time and the strong smell of gas while riding. I also have a 98 Sportster and am not keen on resorting to riding that with my wife on the back.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

So I cleaned the plugs and did the back blow to the carbs. I was able to start it and drive it a while with seafoam in the tank but it is still having trouble in first and second gears. Sounds and acts almost normal in higher gears. Still lots of noise coming from the right tail pipe. Looks like gas coming out of the pipe also. Strangely the rpms are erratic now.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:00 PM

Dirty pilot jet(s) maybe. Or dirty carbs all around, stuck float.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Looks like im pulling the carbs and if i do that I might as well do the ear shave. Last time i rebuilt the carbs i did it with the surge tank in place. That was not much fun. Thanks for the advice people! I will need more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

First do a compression check. That will confirm or eliminate low compression as a problem. No sense in doing a lot of work for nothing. If the compression is ok, then I would completely disassemble and clean the carbs. If you have never worked on Vulcan 750 carbs before, they are very different than most carbs. They are basically 2 carbs designed as a single assembly, the float chamber is all one piece. I advise against doing the earshave thing, but that's up to you. I have found that reinstalling the carbs with the stock airbox is not as difficult as many say.

I see no way that replacing the cam chain tensioners could possibly have anything to do with the problems you are describing. How did you do the cam chain tensioners? Did you use the TOC tensioners, or did you convert the ACCTs to MCCTs? I highly recommend and use the TOC tensioners.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Hey thank you for the response. I rebuilt these carbs a couple of years ago. I had a frustratingly difficult time getting them back in with the surge tank in the bike. I'm interested to know why you don't recommend the ear shave procedure. My reticence to do it is particulates. Is there an engine performance drawback?

I did my own mcct conversion based on what I read in these forums. I didn't JB weld a 10mm nut inside the housing. I was pretty uneasy about adjusting the screw to be honest. The bike was running great after I did the conversion but I can't say I could hear a difference with 2 or 3 turns in or out.

Is the TOC housing the primary reason to use their conversion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement