Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Oil leak?

Ahhh but yet ANOTHER problem with the old 750. So I have literally put no run time on the bike yet because I have been to busy working on it.

Well here is the deal, today I thought I’d go get the bike inspected and get it legal for the first time in 4 years.... well anyhow the rear exhaust manifold is covered in oil, the rubber motor mount above the manifold has oil on it as well. Where the exhaust hooks into the manifold smokes quite a bit when motor gets warmed up.... thtiming chain tentioner has oil on it as well and oil running down the motor above the tentioner. My guess is the weep hole, or half the problem anyways.

So what I’m wanting to know is could the weep hole cause oil to be all over the manifold? I wouldn’t think so seeing how it’s kinda below the manifold.... bike does smoke a little when warmed up, nothing major at all..... I was thinking maybe the bike had to much blow by causing oil to get into the manifold, but seeing how it’s on the outside of manifold as well and the motor mount... could the weep hole actually be the problem? I can’t get it inspected with smoke rcoming off the exhaust the way it is lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:46 AM

Sounds like maybe the rear valve cover.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Sounds like maybe the rear valve cover.
I thought the same thing, but valve cover seems to be fine. I ran my finger all around it. No oil on it... Only leak I can find wth a quick look was that weep hole... but bound to be another somewhere else. Surely if rings was bad enough to let that much oil out the ol bike would smoke like a train.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneWolf View Post
I thought the same thing, but valve cover seems to be fine. I ran my finger all around it. No oil on it... Only leak I can find wth a quick look was that weep hole... but bound to be another somewhere else. Surely if rings was bad enough to let that much oil out the ol bike would smoke like a train.
Yes, if it was pumping raw oil, it would be smoking too.

Eliminate the weep hole leak (plug well o-ring), clean it up and see where you are.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneWolf View Post
Yes, if it was pumping raw oil, it would be smoking too.

The plug
Eliminate the weep hole leak (plug well o-ring), clean it up and see where you are.
I want to toss some new plugs in so I decided to pull the old ones out and inspect them. I noticed oil around the plug when removing the spark plug wire,

After pulling the plug it seemed to have oil on the tip of the plug a good amount of oil at that....

The spark plug across from it on other side of cylinder was dry seemed fine. The one that was wet was on the plug well side.... I used a snake cam to inspect the piston area the best I could....

piston seemed little wet or looked that way to me. I will upload a picture.... now I’m thinking valve seals or rings? But then again wouldn’t both plugs be covered in oil if it was the rings? First picture is spark plug well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DFD6D21E-A13E-4878-A07D-3A959AE95E8A_1560358784874.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	46023   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A869E89-39F6-4B25-A69B-A1324FD19EBD_1560358811126.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	46025  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:49 PM

If the plug well is holding oil, the spark plug starts getting coated as soon as you break it loose.

Looks more like carbon on the piston, and not too severe. Yes, both plugs should show it if it's pumping oil.

Everybody should have a snake cam!

2003-21k mi

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Here’s a couple pics of what I’m talking about, maybe it will help a bit.

First pic On the exhaust where it hooks to the manifold, that chrome collar that I set my spark plug wire on is where it smokes from and that little mount/bushing above it gets oil bubbles off it.

I took my phone and put it under the manifold and snapped a picture to show how everything’s wet. Valve cover not showing any signs of leaking... I know for sure the weep hole is leaking oil...

It for sure has me puzzled on how oil has gotten everywhere like this 🤔 going to see if my local part store has the correct o rings for the spark plug well in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B339F62-6927-4943-BE0C-3C712948ECCA_1560369532150.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	46031   Click image for larger version

Name:	F5CA09DC-D61E-4AA3-9CF0-EB8796ED8EB9_1560369612021.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	46033   Click image for larger version

Name:	B4AF3749-22E4-46FB-BC84-483B05B70660_1560369654975.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	46035  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Isn't there an o-ring in the deep-well spark plug holes or something? I've heard of other users needing to replace that then it starts to leak and fill the plug well.

The plug well screws out of the case using a large hex (people report using the axle nut to remove it) then the o-ring is replaceable from what I remember reading about it.

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertalldude View Post
Isn't there an o-ring in the deep-well spark plug holes or something? I've heard of other users needing to replace that then it starts to leak and fill the plug well.

The plug well screws out of the case using a large hex (people report using the axle nut to remove it) then the o-ring is replaceable from what I remember reading about it.
Yes you are correct, main thing I’m trying to figure out atm is why my manifold is covered in oil. I could see a leaky valve cover gasket causing the problem but it’s not leaking.

The weep hole is on opposite side of motor below the manifold so I can’t see that being the problem either. It’s not a old leak because I have fresh oil dripping down from somewhere.

Unless the weep hole is just blowing oil everywhere, but I’ve only heard of them being small leaks running straight down the motor.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:02 PM

Not trying to offend, but ... Are we sure it's coolant? Did you taste test it?

The rear weep hole is much lower then the manifold, almost at the base of the cylinder.

Rear coolant pipe is ahead of, and higher, than the manifold.

2003-21k mi

Last edited by Spockster; 06-12-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement