\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Not trying to offend, but ... Are we sure it's coolant? Did you taste test it? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

The rear weep hole is much lower then the manifold, almost at the base of the cylinder.

Rear coolant pipe is ahead of, and higher, than the manifold.

It’s most definitely oil, even smells like oil when burning off the exhaust. It’s not a coolant leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Take some spray brake cleaner and completely clean the oil off the entire area. It may take a lot of it, get the Walmart Supertech brand. Once clean and dry, get some Arrid Extra Dry spray, and spray the whole area with it. It is bright white, and any oil leak will instantly become visible. Start the engine and wait. You can also get dye to put in the oil that shows up under a blacklight. I seriously doubt it is coolant, that is quite different from oil. However, there is a coolant elbow fitting on the left side of the rear head that tends to leak. It has an O ring on it, but even with a new O ring, it can leak if you wiggle it around. And yes, I have done the taste test on coolant. Obviously ethylene glycol is poison, and you don't want to swallow any. I just touch it with my finger and touch my tongue to it. If it is coolant you will immediately get that sweet taste. Spit it out. It will never be anywhere near your throat.

You might also want to remove the gas tank and run the engine on a temporary gas supply. You can get a much better look at the top on the engine with the tank off.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Take some spray brake cleaner and completely clean the oil off the entire area. It may take a lot of it, get the Walmart Supertech brand. Once clean and dry, get some Arrid Extra Dry spray, and spray the whole area with it. It is bright white, and any oil leak will instantly become visible. Start the engine and wait. You can also get dye to put in the oil that shows up under a blacklight. I seriously doubt it is coolant, that is quite different from oil. However, there is a coolant elbow fitting on the left side of the rear head that tends to leak. It has an O ring on it, but even with a new O ring, it can leak if you wiggle it around. And yes, I have done the taste test on coolant. Obviously ethylene glycol is poison, and you don't want to swallow any. I just touch it with my finger and touch my tongue to it. If it is coolant you will immediately get that sweet taste. Spit it out. It will never be anywhere near your throat.

You might also want to remove the gas tank and run the engine on a temporary gas supply. You can get a much better look at the top on the engine with the tank off.
Awesome advice I didint think much about trying something like that. I appreciate the help! I’m going to give it a shot. I know that little hole next to tensioner leaks oil for sure. Hopefully I can have it fixed tomorrow.

And by chance does anyone know what size the axel nut is on these bikes?
I’d like to know the correct size so I can find another one and just make a homemade tool, that’s way I don’t have to keep taking the rear axel but off when I need to remove the spark plug wells

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneWolf View Post

And by chance does anyone know what size the axel nut is on these bikes?
I’d like to know the correct size so I can find another one and just make a homemade tool, that’s way I don’t have to keep taking the rear axel but off when I need to remove the spark plug wells
27mm

Just checking about the antifreeze, can't be too sure when you're looking from 1000 miles away. Have seen people mistake antifreeze for clean oil before.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 06-12-2019 at 10:45 PM.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

the airflow around the engine can easily cause a leak to seem to come from somewhere else. we know the weep hole leaks.. maybe airflow around engine when riding is blowing it up onto the back of the cylinder?

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:53 PM

Someone gave me a battery powered black light for Christmas. Antifreeze will glow under a black light, but you need dye for the oil. Small bottle of dye is $5-8. Peanut butter glows green! So does ketchup.

The light couldn't be real expensive, but it has a laser, LED flashlight, LED floodlight, and LED black light.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
the airflow around the engine can easily cause a leak to seem to come from somewhere else. we know the weep hole leaks.. maybe airflow around engine when riding is blowing it up onto the back of the cylinder?
I have not yet had a chance to ride the bike, seems like every time I fix a problem another occurs.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Someone gave me a battery powered black light for Christmas. Antifreeze will glow under a black light, but you need dye for the oil. Small bottle of dye is $5-8. Peanut butter glows green! So does ketchup.

The light couldn't be real expensive, but it has a laser, LED flashlight, LED floodlight, and LED black light.
I had no clue antifreeze glows under a black light. I guess I learned something new today! I think I will by a small one, wouldn’t hurt, I’m sure it will come in handy.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

One more question for you guys, when I got to change these o’rings on the spark plug tubes- before pulling the tubes out is the valve covers suppose to be removed first? If so what’s the purpose in that? I’m just curious I read somewhere else that the valve covers needed to be removed in order to pull the spark plug tubes out
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:12 AM

I Can't think of any reason why you would need to take the valve covers off the tubes they only come out so you can thread it through the cam chain otherwise you would need a split link in the cam chain which is not a good idea

Last edited by trev uk; 06-13-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement