15 yrs and now she runs(ish) again - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Engine / Exhaust / Cooling
\ From the radiator, through the case and out
the exhaust. If it has to do with the cooling,
engine or exhaust, discuss it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

15 yrs and now she runs(ish) again

I was given a 85 VN700 by my father in law a few years ago, finally able to start working on it about a year and a half ago. When he last rode it the ear shave had been done and a lot of other work, he had pulled the carbs because of fuel issues after the shave I'm guessing, carbs were rebuilt and then he never got around to getting them back on. So it's been sitting for at least 15 years. I still need to get the:
tank mounts
different alternate petcock
moly paste for the drive after I took it apart to inspect it (woohoo it was dang near perfect!)
Carb rebuild kit
tires
fuel cap (original or weld a different style on)
and a couple other things I can't think of.
It's almost there. So I got bored yesterday and decided to rig up the tank on the bike because I really wanted to see if it would even start. It's on the center stand right now with the final drive off. Battery would turn it over really easily when the spark plugs we're out, and yes Sparks from all plugs, but would quickly lose juice after a few tries. Hooked it up to my car and much better luck, after a bit of false starts it finally started and it was awesome.
Now I have a couple issues to look at based on running it a few times, very slow and erratic throttle response (thus the rebuild kit), and knocking from what sounds like the rear cyclinder towards the top, maybe, have to do it again today and narrow it down.
Researched on here last night, and it looks like it's either the ACCT or the lifters, question is can I get to the lifters without completely removing the engine if that's what it is? Really hoping it's not cyclinder slap because that would just suck. I know it ran well when my father in law was riding it, he's no mechanical idiot. Thanks for any help!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:59 PM

Garage
Good luck to you! This is a great place for information. I'll help you where I can.

'89 Vulcan 750 Bought 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800
Purchased stock. Wrecked once
22490.0+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB
110/90 Front Tire
Pick-up coil re-gapped to .020"
Compufire 55402 r/r series regulator
USB Outlet + Voltmeter
Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages
Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG
MCCT conversion

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals
Windshield
Highway Pegs
(Possible) ignition advance
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:23 PM

Garage
The air bypass system has a valve just behind the top of the rear cylinder. It makes a knocking sound at idle. Some people remove that altogether when they do an ear shave. I didn't, because I like how it pops when I decel. That system might still be intact on your bike.

Try removing the vacuum hose from the right carburetor (and blocking off the nipple). That is the vacuum supply to that valve. If the knocking changes or stops altogether, than it was just that valve making noise.

For the erratic throttle response, you could have vacuum leaks too. Before replacing the carb boots (between carb and engine), check/replace all vacuum lines, and rebuild the carbs. (Ask me how I know if a bad seal in the carbs can cause a vacuum leak.... ) I was able to replace ALL the vacuum lines with a $4 piece from Farm and Fleet.

If the carb boots themselves are leaking, you can coat the outer surface with RTV Black Ultimate to at least temporarily seal them. This saves you from $70 boots, only to find they weren't the source of leaks.

Get yourself some Teflon spray and spray the inside ends of hoses/boots before putting them on. They slide in much nicer that way.

Check your slide diaphragms and your enrichment diaphragms (watch for the tiny o-ring and the large spring under the enrichment covers!!!) for cracks.

Spray your slides down with Teflon spray so they slide easily and don't build up deposits.

Good luck!

'89 Vulcan 750 Bought 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800
Purchased stock. Wrecked once
22490.0+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB
110/90 Front Tire
Pick-up coil re-gapped to .020"
Compufire 55402 r/r series regulator
USB Outlet + Voltmeter
Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages
Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG
MCCT conversion

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals
Windshield
Highway Pegs
(Possible) ignition advance

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:07 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

A loose cam chain does not make what I would consider a knocking noise, more of a rattle, and lifters usually make a clicking noise. Hopefully it is not the rod big end bearings or the crank bearings. If you believe you may have a vacuum leak, take an unlit propane torch, open the valve a little, and with the engine running, move the torch around where you thing the leak might be. If there is a vacuum leak, engine idle will increase instantly as it sucks in the propane. I had both the enrichener diaphragms fail on my '02. They literally melted, leaving a gooey mess. I believe it was caused by ethanol gas. I use good old WD-40 on the boots and hoses. I even use it for mounting tires, though I prefer Vaseline.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

So I realized yesterday I never actually tightened to boot clamps, did that and finally got the bike to idle regularly. Still slow on throttle response but seems better. Bike does sound better as it warms up.
While my wife was on the throttle I got down with a screwdriver to narrow it down and it does seem to be comming from the top of the cyclinder, but it's hard to narrow down.
I'll take a look at the ACCT this week when I get a chance and see what that does. But leaning towards the idea the engine is coming out.
Currently no vacuum line on the right throttle, grabbing a cap today for that, and the other side. Have the correct TW200 petcock on the way, I guess I didn't pay enough attention when I ordered the first one.
I am making my own coasters, will get them on this week, but the little vents aren't making much noise.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Also I did remove that valve and the two hoses last week, before I started it.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:31 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I would not consider pulling the engine unless you have no choice. Especially if you don't really know what you are looking for. There are 2 ways to do it. Quick and dirty, and slow and methodical. I did mine the slow and methodical way. I disassembled a good part of the bike to get things out of the way. I bagged and labeled every part, and put them in large boxes. The seat, tank, and sidecovers came off, the complete intake and exhaust systems, the cooling system, battery. all the wiring connections were disconnected and labled, it took me the better part of a year to do it. I just couldn't find the time. One thing I did not do was remove the bevel drive gearcase. With everything out of the way, I built a homemade wooden dolly with casters on it, rolled it under the engine, put shims between the dolly and the engine. and using tapered door/cabinet shims, I was able to position and reposition the engine as needed. I was able to move it forward and turn it just enough to disconnect the front splines from the driveshaft. Then I just rolled it out from under the bike. That is something I hope I never have to do again. Then main reason for pulling the engine is to replace the stator. People have rebuilt these engines, but even as much as I like the bike, and as many miles as I have on 2 of them, it's just not worth it to me. Don't assume the worst until you've ruled out everything else.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:56 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Pulled mine in less than six hours...

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Pulling the engine is the last thing I want to do ha. Sunday night while sitting there explaining to my wife what the possible issues were she suggested I just pull the engine and tear it down completely. I was not open to that. I already did the stator mod myself last year just to avoid that in the future, bonus when I ran it Sunday I checked the volts, she charges! Well at least when cold, we'll see what happens once everything heats up to running temps, wiring checked out so far, fingers crossed. Another reason I don't want to pull it is that once I do, I might as well check everything once it's out, rings, bearings, gears all the goodies. And that would take all summer since once fire season gets going I'm gone, and any chance to do some riding gets burned up too. Plus I don't think she realizes it could be a sizeable sum of cash for any parts needed, but mostly I'd like to ride it for a bit before doing that.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Also since I think I reached the post minimum.... Here's my beasty!

From about two weeks ago before I started this last round of electrical, fuel, and oil work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement